The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

I just picked up some Axies

This is a discussion on I just picked up some Axies within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I went to the pet store looking for a rheostat for my snake rack. Looking around I saw the word ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jusmebabe has started on the right path
Default I just picked up some Axies

I went to the pet store looking for a rheostat for my snake rack. Looking around I saw the word Axolotl and was shocked. O told the guy i wanted both. Then I saw the sticky on the price tag that said hold for some one til the 1th (today). He pulled it off and bagged them up hahaha.. I must admit i was trying to divert his attention.
Anyway, they are about 2 inches long and one is albino and the other wild type. I have them in a 10 gal for now but will upgrade later when they are bigger.
Just wanted to share my find..
Attached Thumbnails
I just picked up some Axies-axolotls-001.jpg   I just picked up some Axies-axolotls-002.jpg  

jusmebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: I just pick up some Axies

Just a few quick tips based on your pics. Your tank needs more places to hide, they need some placed to be able to crawl or swim under. I would also suggest rethinking the pebbles as their substrate...not only is it a pain in the *** to clean, but as they get bigger those stones appear as though they can fit in an adult axolotls mouth. Axolotls don't pay much attention to what they are sucking up at dinner time, so those pebbles could possibly be inhaled and swallowed (very bad news). Other than that, seems like quite the find you got there! They are adorable and appear to be in great shape!

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: kinkyoto has shown reliable knowledge

You should change your substrate to sand when you upgrade. Those 2 will grow up pretty fast. And maybe put some support underneath that filter. I have the same filter and sometimes the suction cups come off and it falls. I see that little guy is hanging out under there, am I'm worried it might get crushed just in case the suction cups fail. Or get the mini external canister filter which is my personal favorite. It's made by Zoo-meds and its called "501 Turtle Canister Filter". But yea, congratz on getting those Axolotls. =]

kinkyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I'll add that keeping this tank clean with all that gravel in it is going to be a pain in the butt. At the size your axies are at I bet they are feeding on frozen bloodworms or something similar which is notorious for getting in between the rocks and rotting, creating havoc with your water quality. You'd probably be better off going bare bottom until they get a little bigger since they are a lot messier at this size, it just makes it easier to keep clean and maintain. Aso, a brick turned on it's side works great at supporting filters like the one your using.

Old 17th December 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanx for the heads up guys. I actually have the hang on clip and the suction cups so it can't fall. You guessed right blood worms and sticks.. Trying to loccate some salmon pellets. As for hiding places, black one is hiding and can't be found until feeding time. The albino is all over the place.
The rocks are slightly bigger than they appear in the pic and their heads. If they can suck that down within the next month or two more power to them (kidding).
I have plenty of time to set up a better tank just waiting for one to appear on Craigslist then I'll purchase it. I'm going to do a few plants and sand in the next tank as I'm a big fan of naturalistic. I was caught off guard as I had been waiting a few months to get some and out of nowhere they were in the shop.

With that said what do you suggest for feeding routine? I currenlty feed them half a cube and they are feeding. Aside from blood worms and earthworms what are some other items readily available that you feed them?

Old 17th December 2009   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Feeding them the earthworms and bloodworms everyday is a good routine until they get bigger. If you can get them switched over to pellets then that would be great. Once they get bigger you can begin to add items like feeder fish (that have been quarantined). Also pieces of beef heart or the like can be offered occasionally as treats.

Do you have access to blackworms? They would absolutely relish those at this stage in thier development.

Old 21st December 2009   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Tank update. I put themin a 20 long I had a snake in and going bare bottom with some fake plants (getting a couple more plants dont worry lol) and the log or what ever it is and a rock with an area underneath to hide. I took back my Marineland Biowheel back and bought the AquaClear and it is silent and doesn't produce a current or I should say I can control the flow rate.
I don't have access to blackworms or salmon pellets (asked everywhere) so bloodworms, earthworms, brine, tubifex and beefheart is it.
Attached Thumbnails
I just picked up some Axies-aoxlotl-photos-001.jpg  

LinkBack