The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding

This is a discussion on Feeding within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey, When do you feed your axolotls? do you feed them at the same time to get them into a ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kaylalouise has started on the right path
Question Feeding

Hey,

When do you feed your axolotls? do you feed them at the same time to get them into a routine?

Also how much of what do you feed them?

I hear different things on hear to in the pet shops. I think i will follow what people say on here.

Also as i am looking a get juveniles, how does their diet vary from older axolotls?

thanks =)

kaylalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Feeding

Juveniles need to be fed daily, and usually as much as they will eat in 20-30 mins. Vacuum out the excess after they are done eating. I usually feed mine at the same time every day, even though they are willing to eat no matter what time of day it is. Juveniles need either blackworms or bloodworms, which you can buy at most petshops.

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: Nattles88 has started on the right path

I feed mine frozen bloodworms, one cube each in the evening. If its rained recently igive them earthworms

Nattles88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ashie has started on the right path

I generally tried to stay away from frozen blood worms or any other dried food, only because I found they contaminate the water. I use to breed my own feeder fish, blood worms, earth worms and crickets. The adults had a variety while the babies were feed a mix of live blood worms and young feeder fish. But if your going to provide a live food source I would recommend strongly breeding your own not only is it cheaper but then you know the health of the animals and that there is no real chance of disease spreading to you axolotl.

But make sure not to just be interbreeding food stock.
I had two 2 foot tanks for the fish. Every now and then I would purchase some more fish or crickets and after quarantining them for a two weeks I would add them to the tanks but do keep in mind I had a lot of mouths to feed before I stopped breeding and downsized to just one two years back.. But I'm now planning to get maybe one or two more axies

ashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylalouise View Post
When do you feed your axolotls? do you feed them at the same time to get them into a routine?
I always feed mine about an hour before the lights go out since axolotls are most active at night.

Quote:
Also how much of what do you feed them?
This depends on the size of the animal. Adults will get one or two worms at a time, while juveniles will get chunks of worms and bloodworms

Quote:
Also as i am looking a get juveniles, how does their diet vary from older axolotls?
They just require smaller items and more frequent feedings. Other than that they are just as greedy as any adult axie.

LinkBack