The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Going on holidays - food for young axie?

This is a discussion on Going on holidays - food for young axie? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi all, I'm heading away for 10 days and was wondering what food can i feed an axie (around 5mths ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Gin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going on holidays - food for young axie?

Hi all,

I'm heading away for 10 days and was wondering what food can i feed an axie (around 5mths old) that will be sufficient for him and not rot in the water?

Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Going on holidays - food for young axie?

How big is he? I think 10 days will be too long to leave him without feeding. Can you get someone to come in 2-3 times while your gone? Mel
edit- sorry meant to add that most foods for axies wouldn't last 10 days in a tank. Possibly feeder fish but they would have to be quarantined for 30 days beforehand.

Last edited by melfly; 23rd December 2009 at 08:28. Reason: Added info
melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

In addition to the axolotls size, what are the water temperatures?

Old 23rd December 2009   #4 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

This link may be useful for you.

Axolotls Home Alone

Old 23rd December 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: dollarpots is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Gin, I have a larger axolotl and I frequently go away for a week or more and this is what I do.

Some people may say that this is incorrect but it has worked for me in the past.

The day before I leave I hand feed him 2 or 3 times (usually beef heart or kangaroo meat) so that I am sure he is full.
Then the morning I leave I usually put in two or three small fat goldfish and about 3 danios. He usually gets the goldfish within 24 hours but the danios are usually a bit quicker and last longer. I have never quarantined my feeder fish - but I have a reputable LFS in Melbourne and I buy fish that are meant for sale, not fish that are breed to be fed! This usually lasts my adult axolotl over a week.

You can also try putting in a bunch of Red Cherry Shrimp or glass shrimp. If you jump on www.aquarimlife.com.au you may be able to find someone in Sydney that have some RCS for sale (usually about $1 each as opposed to over $5 in a shop) They won't hurt the axolotl and I have found that since i've had them in with my axolotl they have been cleaning up his waste as well.

The shrimp may be better for a younger axolotl as they are smaller. All of this is assuming that he/she has eaten live food before and will view either the shrimp or goldfish as food and actively hunt them when he/she is hungry.

Hope that helps you.

dollarpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009   #6 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

The concept behind your idea is correct, however it can be refined.

Feeder fish and shrimp can indeed be a backup source of food. However the golden rule of quarantine still applies. In addition, do not overstock the tank. All feeder fish and shrimp contribute to nitrogenous wastes. Overstocking can compromise the water parameters which can quickly spiral into a disaster if nobody is around to test for water chemistry or perform water changes.

With feeder fish choices, it is best to stick to guppies and minnows. Goldfish is not appropriate as feeder fish for axies. They are high in fat, produce wastes like there is no tomorrow, contain quite a high amount of thiaminase and can be a vector of parasites.

It is good to feed the axie before a long vacation away. I would go with highly nutritious, caloric dense food rather than 'empty fillers". Feed live earthworms, blackworms and good quality pellets. These would provide a bodily store of essential nutrients. Meat products are more appropriate as a snack,

Tags
food, holidays

LinkBack