The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Colour genetics?....

This is a discussion on Colour genetics?.... within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi - I have been studying the axolotl.org site colour genetics page with interest, as I am raising about a ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Heather at HMSG has given good advice and informationHeather at HMSG has given good advice and informationHeather at HMSG has given good advice and information
Default Colour genetics?....

Hi - I have been studying the axolotl.org site colour genetics page with interest, as I am raising about a dozen offspring from a leucistic Ma & golden albino Pa. These tiny creatures already appear to be a range of colours.

From many years back I understand the principles of genetic inheritance, & have studied the above page several times now.

I understand melanistic albino (m/m, a/a), plus the fact that a leucistic has the over-riding d/d factor, which stops other colours being expressed, if present. Can I assume, therefore, that the leucistic could have a wide range of hidden factors - in fact almost all except a/a?

Is it therefore possible to have a melanistic leucistic (ie d/d, m/m)?

Just a started question.........

I also have a very rudimentary interest in horse colour genetics (the developmental D gene in axies seems a bit similar to the 'greying' gene in horses - 'grey' is not a colour, but over-rides other standard colours) and an interest in cat colours, but very low level understanding.

Where could I read more about axie colours in simple terms please?

Thanks,

Heather & Sparkle

Heather at HMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11
Default Re: Colour genetics?....

Most of the basic genetics is on the pages you know about. There is nothing like hands on experience to realise how genetics works. Start by trying to understand the possibilities.

Your leucistic has two copies of the white (d/d) gene. You can tell if it has two copies of the melanoid or axanthic gene if it has non-reflective iris colouration. It could carry one copy of the albino, melanoid, or axantic genes.

Your golden albino has two copies of the albino gene. It does not have two copies of the white gene or the melanoid or axanthic gene otherwise it would not be golden. It can carry one copy of these genes.

Now get out a hand lens or use that microscope you have to try to puzzle out what the little ones are!
Do any lack black eye pigmentation? If so your leucistic is a carrier of the albino gene.
Do any appear to be leucistic? If so your albino is a carrier of the leucistic gene.
Do any lack reflective iris pigmentation? If so both parents carry either melanoid or axanthic.

If your leucistic was not a carrier of any other pigment mutations and your golden albino was also similarly mutation free you would have a brood which was entirely wild type and carriers of one copy of both the albino and leucistic genes. Since your brood varies this is not the case.

oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack