The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Enclosure - for axolotls.

This is a discussion on Enclosure - for axolotls. within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; HI guys just setting up my first ever tank which will house axolotls the tank dimensions are 70x46x40 L W ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: springie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Enclosure - for axolotls.

HI guys just setting up my first ever tank which will house axolotls the tank dimensions are 70x46x40 L W H, question is how many axolotls would be comfortably suitable for a tank of
this size..
Thank you so much for any help leigh

springie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11
Default Re: Enclosure - for axolotls.

Hi Leigh,

I would say one to two axolotls (two maximum) could be comfortably housed in that size tank. I think three would be a little cramped.

An adult axolotl can grow up to 14 inchs in length - give or take a few inchs (longer than 14 inchs is not common; but certainly not unheard of).

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009   #3 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

To me those dimensions are similar to a 10 US gallon tank. A US 10 gallon tank is 24 1/4 x 8 1/2 x12 5/8 (inches) which converts into 72x22x33(cm). Your tank is a bit wider, would I would still only recommend 1 Axolotl, as the general rule is 1 Axolotl per 10 gallons.

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freakgecko91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does that rule of thumb apply to 10 gallons no matter what? Like, if you have 2, then you need a 20 gallon long, or will a 20 gallon tall work? Does that make sense at all? lol

freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

It usually applies to the length. A 20 gallon (high) is the same length as a 10 gallon tank. Since axolotls don't usually use the height of a tank as much as they do the length, a 10 gallon and 20 gallon would pretty much be the same in terms of axolotls being kept. However, a 20 gallon long is more suitable for additional axolotls as it provides a larger footprint for them to move around on.

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack