The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Transparent tank funk?

This is a discussion on Transparent tank funk? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My axolotls look fine so I guess this isn't really a "sick" axolotl post (I hope), but when I vacuumed ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 16
Rep: jclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Transparent tank funk?

My axolotls look fine so I guess this isn't really a "sick" axolotl post (I hope), but when I vacuumed this morning, there were a few lumps of viscous funk. I saw one floating around the bottom of the tank, and at a glance, it looked like the kind of bacteria cloud that might form around a bit of old food, but when I pulled it out of the syphon, it's more the texture of a cricket quencher that's a smidge too wet.

I vacuum and replace ~25% per week, and the tank has a piece of monapi wood planted with java fern, elodea, anubias, and willow moss. The tank has limpets and pond snails, but they don't create anything that would look like this. There's also a colony of escapee blackworms, most of which live in the crannies of the log, as there is no substrate. (These can't be blackworm eggs, can they?) It occured to me that they might be axolotl eggs, but (a) there weren't many clumps, (b) they look nothing like the picture on Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander, and (c) they weren't anywhere near the plants, but hovering at the bottom of the tank.

The water looks fine, as do the axolotls. Anyone know what this is?
Attached Thumbnails
Transparent tank funk?-1.8.10-clear-funk-001.jpg   Transparent tank funk?-1.8.10-clear-funk-002.jpg   Transparent tank funk?-1.8.10-clear-funk-005.jpg  

jclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: callina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Transparent tank funk?

maybe Iīm totally wrong, but I have no other idea but the rest of speramtophores?
Do you have a male in the tank?

-Tina-

callina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I do have a male and a female. They could have mated without my knowing. How long would it be before she lays? And, not to sound heartless, but is it safe to assume that if I leave the young 'uns in there, they'll get eaten? (I have no intention of raising offspring.) Is it possible that the male produced spermataphores even if the female wasn't willing to receive them? Or is this a sure sign that they've mated?

Eeeew. That means I handled Axie spunk. I am slightly disturbed by this revelation. Is that definitely what this is?

Old 8th January 2010   #4 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I am not quite sure what the clear gooey stuff is, but I can definitely ID the object in the 2nd and 3rd pictures. It is an American US Penny. Valued at $.01. Minted by the United States government, although I have no idea how it got into your aquarium.

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hiya
I've seen spermataphores in my tank twice and they didn't look like that!
They were quite neat little volcano shapes, see through with a white tip.
That does look a bit more like jelly from eggs. How does it feel?
Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010   #6 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Quite a mystery here. I don't really know what they are either but i agree with Mel that my first thought was the jelly coating on eggs. I would remove them from the tank to avoid anything decomposing and fouling the water.

Not all axies will consume their eggs or larvae so it is best to cull them early (if they are indeed eggs) if you do not want to raise larvae.

Old 9th January 2010   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: callina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi,

I donīt think that those mysterious things are the jelly coat of eggs, because 1. you must have had eggs in your tank (are there any eggs?), 2. before hatsching the eggs with the jelly mass is competly round without edges like on the photo and there should be the little egg in the middle. 3. After hatching there rests only a thin coat without jelly and by taken out of the water thereīs no compact substance, it subsides.

The more is see the photos, the more I come to the conlusion that those things are spermatophores. The white tip is gone, maybe itīs taken by the female.

-Tina-

callina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010   #8 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Hi jclee,

If the female has fertilized her eggs, she will start laying within 24 hours, so you won't have long to wait to find out. Although axolotls first have to "acquire the taste" of eating eggs, they will definitely eat the larvae.

I have seen axolotls leave a jelly-like substance in their excrement before. Any way you look at it, you won't have had anything nice in your hand...

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

This really reminds me of the crystals you put into plant pots to keep the soil moist. When you add water they swell up and look just like this. Have you by any chance put in any new plants into the tank?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I really dont think its spermataphores. Based only on the ones i've seen in my tank. They are not very big and dont seem as messy as that, also i have seen two but now there is no trace at all left in my tank. The jelly from the spawn, not the spawn itself is very very messy. I've had some real problems getting dud eggs out of a clutch. To be honest i dont think it is even egg jelly and looks like some foreign matter from elsewhere, but to me it is more like egg jelly than spermataphores. If that makes any sense whatsoever haha. Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010   #11 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Whatever it is, its best to just remove them to avoid them fouling the water nontheless.

Old 9th January 2010   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Well, I removed everything I could find as soon as I saw it. No eggs yet, but it hasn't been a full 24 hours. As far as not being spermataphore-shaped, they were sucked into a gravel vac before I took the pictures, so they might have gotten mangled in the process, but no, they didn't look like other sperm pics I've found on this site. I have a glass-bottom tank, though (no substrate), so I don't know if that might've caused the male to deposit them differently?

I generally leave my tank lid up to increase evaporation and decrease temperature, so something could easily have fallen in there, but I have no idea what would have created that kind of firm, clear goop. I'll let you know if I see any more of it, or if I see eggs, or if anything else comes to mind.

Still taking bets on exactly what it is. I think we're at something like 2 votes sperm, 1 vote egg jelly, 1 vote for plant quencher (same thing as cricket quencher, really,) 1 vote jelly-poo, and 1 "maybe miscellaneous other" by now... Any other takers?

Old 9th January 2010   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclee View Post
Still taking bets on exactly what it is. I think we're at something like 2 votes sperm, 1 vote egg jelly, 1 vote for plant quencher (same thing as cricket quencher, really,) 1 vote jelly-poo, and 1 "maybe miscellaneous other" by now... Any other takers?
My vote will be for snail/limpet eggs. My eyes may be deceiving me - but I think I can see some small brown snail shapes in the jelly. I'll have another coffee and look again.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010   #14 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:

I think its a jackpot for Jacquie. They do look like snail eggs now that she mentioned.

Old 10th January 2010   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

The brown dots on the funk are from the gravel vac. They looked totally clear before I siphoned them out. The only snails in there are regular little pond snails and those tiny freshwater limpets, neither of which lays eggs that look like this or come in chunks this big. The mystery continues.

Old 20th January 2010   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

An update: the "transparent funk" was indeed sperm. I just got eggs today. I guess that my female had already taken the white bit off of each sperm deposit before I saw it.

Too bad I don't have room for more axolotls in my life.

Old 20th January 2010   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: angyles has shown reliable knowledgeangyles has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclee View Post
An update: the "transparent funk" was indeed sperm.
you should scrapbook those photos LOL.

blech!

angyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yeah. I think the qualify somewhere among the 10 worst photos that involve me. Ugh. Only I would manage to pick them out of the tank and onto my hand without knowing for certain what they were. Again, gross.

If anyone near Providence wants to pick up some eggs, let me know. I'm not raising these buggers.

Old 21st January 2010   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AllyTK has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizeric View Post
I am not quite sure what the clear gooey stuff is, but I can definitely ID the object in the 2nd and 3rd pictures. It is an American US Penny. Valued at $.01. Minted by the United States government, although I have no idea how it got into your aquarium.
Supresses loud laughter at work

AllyTK is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack