The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My Axy wont stop eating!

This is a discussion on My Axy wont stop eating! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; From the moment I plopped her in my tank a week ago she has been eating my small community fish. ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: saided is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Axy wont stop eating!

From the moment I plopped her in my tank a week ago she has been eating my small community fish. I am not upset about this at all, I actually went and got her 10 goldfish feeders which she went through in about 2 1/2 days. She also eats bloodworms whenever she smells them. Should I start limiting how often she eats or just let her do her thing? She's about 7 inches.

saided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: My Axy wont stop eating!

Seems she'll still growing, but 10 goldfish is definitely too many for any axolotl. Feeder fish should be used rarely as treats, and you should also be quarantining them for about a month to ensure your axie doesn't get sick. Axies are usually good about not over eating, but it seems yours may not have that same self-control. Just make sure it's not becoming overweight (their body is not wider than its head).

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have kept and bred fish since I was 13. I'm 38 now so I would say I have alot of experience when I tell you Goldfish are the worse thing you can feed either fish or Axolotls. They carrry more desease and parasites than anything you could ever put in your tank. They can suck you Axies gills right off with one good bite. Have you not read anything on this site about the dangers of Goldfish or are you just ignoreing them?
If you want to indroduce a fungal infection to you Axie goldfish are the way to do it.
Axolotls do not eat goldfish naturally. Goldfish are not native to the Americas. Their large heads and sharp gill plates can prove a digestive nightmare for Axolotls. So stop feeding goldfish before we have to figure out how to save your Axie when you post in few weeks that it is sick.

Coastal Groovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

You should switch to a diet of mainly earthworms with bloodworms as a treat. Guppies, white cloud minnows, and rosy reds are all appropiate fish to keep with axolotls PROVIDED they are quarantined first. An axolotl of that size should only be fed around 3 times a week at most assuming it is already at a healthy weight.

Old 11th January 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Where do you get live earth worms? None of the local pet stores have them, I've asked.
And thanks for the advice, I'll not feed it fish anymore.

Old 11th January 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Niall W has shown reliable knowledge

As long as you're CERTAIN no pesticides are used where you get them from, collecting them from your garden etc is fine :)

Niall W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Hofnarr has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall W View Post
As long as you're CERTAIN no pesticides are used where you get them from, collecting them from your garden etc is fine :)

I breed my own worms... in a bucket in the kitchen!
It is quite easy and I always have plenty of fresh worms.

Hofnarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

I'm in a college dorm, so I dont have access to good places to find worms here in this town, or to breed them. Thank you for your suggestions. I'll keep looking for solutions.

Old 12th January 2010   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: angyles has shown reliable knowledgeangyles has shown reliable knowledge

Fred Meyer sells worms in the sporting goods section as fish bait.

angyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: darwinthesun is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost anywhere that sells fishing licenses or fishing bait will have earthworms. You might have to cut it in half for a 7-inch axie depending on the size of the worm.

darwinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Walmart also has them in the sporting goods section. They usually have 2 kinds, troutworms and nightcrawlers. The nighcrawlers would be your best bet since some axies dislike the taste of the troutworms.

Old 12th January 2010   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: michaelaf is an unknown quantity at this point

wow goldfish? one thing ive learned is goldfish will eat everything. even eachother. i had 2 cosmos and 1 black moor goldfish. all i can say is the black moor was gone and i have a lid. i searched my entire tank nothing. they also eat my plants so i wouldnt put a goldfish in with an axie.

michaelaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Oh good idea with the sporting goods worms! And these were really tiny gold fish that couldn't pose a threat. And now they are gone. Thanks for all the help, I havn't fed her today, and she seems to be scouring the tank for food under the river rocks. What a fatty!

Old 13th January 2010   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Harry Thompson has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

How do you breed worms¿ I regularly buy a bucket or two, and making them last longer would be valuable information :)

Harry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010   #15 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

From my understanding, worm farms are nothing more than containers of regular soil with worms in them. As long as you provide food and healthy conditions, the worms will breed.

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: Blaze has shown reliable knowledgeBlaze has shown reliable knowledge

Fill a bucket up with dirt. Wet it until it is all moist, but not saturated. Give them food scraps every now and again (depends on how many worms you have). But not citrus or onion. PLace them in a cool area and put some glad wrap over it with some small holes poked through. Thats how I keep mine!!

Old 14th January 2010   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

For information about growing worms, read through the Live Foods section of this forum. Or google it. It's not exactly true that worm farms are containers of regular soil - compost worms don't do well in regular soil, they need a lighter substrate like coir, peat moss or shredded newspaper. Also note that only certain kinds of worms can be raised at home. Gotta start with the right kind of worms.

LinkBack