The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Creek Plants?

This is a discussion on Creek Plants? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I was out camping near this creek called Canyon Creek. Anyways, the water is very cold, and it had quite ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mifuneaxie has started on the right path
Default Creek Plants?

I was out camping near this creek called Canyon Creek. Anyways, the water is very cold, and it had quite a few plants that seemed to be doing great! I thought that maybe I would be able to put some in my axie tank. I brought some of the plants home, I have no idea what they're called though, and attached them to some rocks to see if they will be okay without any soil (I have a slate bottom). So right now, I have them in some buckets (NOT with axies of course) and I was just wondering if creek/river plants would every be okay to introduce into an axolotl tank. I have noticed quite a lot bugs on them though and I will definitely want to get rid of them before I even think of putting them with my axies. What is the best way for getting rid of these bugs? I've heard of a bleach solution, but I'm not sure how much bleach to use, and for how long. If the plants die in the process, then they were never worth it anyways, so I'm not worried about using a solution that may kill them. I will not risk having these bugs in my tank (they are wormy and really gross and seem harmful), so I was wondering what the best method is. Also, if anyone has ever used plants from a creek or stream and has some knowledge of this, that would be great. I have no idea if it's worth pursuing or if I should just dump the plants now.

Thanks in advance for any responses and help!

mifuneaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Creek Plants?

Okay, after further consideration (which involved looking into the plant bucket at all the bugs, worms, and probably parasites) I have decided that it's probably a bad idea to even think about adding these to my tank. Unless there is a fool proof way to get rid of bugs, which I doubt, then I think the plants are garbage. Sorry about the questions then, since I seem to have solved them myself! Thanks again!

Old 18th April 2010   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I accidentally introduced leeches into my tank by using pond vegetation.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ooo, I think that that kind of thing would happen if I used these creek plants... Which is too bad because they're cool plants! And would look great in my tank! Did the leeches hurt your axies (or whatever you had in your tank)? Sounds like that would be a bad infestation, hard to get rid of?

LinkBack