The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding Axolots While Away Question

This is a discussion on Feeding Axolots While Away Question within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi, I own two Axolotls which I have owned for around 2/3 months, not sure how old they were when ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: GuyM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeding Axolots While Away Question

Hi,
I own two Axolotls which I have owned for around 2/3 months, not sure how old they were when I bought them but they were considered ‘small’ by the pet shop, they are now approximately 15cm from head to tail tip (If this isn’t enough information I can upload pictures).
I'm going away for New Years for a week and my family don’t know how to feed them, will they be safe if I give them a good feed before I go and after I return? Or should I risk having my family dropping in some meat chunks that ‘should’ be found and eaten by my Axolotls while I’m gone?
I just worry that if the Axolotls don’t find the meat left in the tank while it’s ok to eat it might go bad and cause problems for the Axolotls later.
Thanks,

GuyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Feeding Axolots While Away Question

They are at an appropiate size that they could easily go a week without food. When I go on vacations, the last feed they get is always 2 days before I leave. This gives me the final day to remove as much waste or uneaten food as possible to reduce the risk of the water fouling.

Old 6th December 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Really? Excellent, that's a huge relief.

Thanks

Old 6th December 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

What are you feeding them at present ?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I mainly feed them “Aqua Master Axolotl Pellets”, then a couple of times a week Axolotl specific fish meat blocks that I get from my local pet shop and the occasional earthworm.

Tags
axolotl, eating, feeding, holiday

LinkBack