The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

How do i change my axolotl in to a land salamander

This is a discussion on How do i change my axolotl in to a land salamander within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; what can i do turn my axolotl in to a land salamander??...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: water dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do i change my axolotl in to a land salamander

what can i do turn my axolotl in to a land salamander??
water dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AuraCantos has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: How do i change my axolotl in to a land salamander

Not to sound rude, but why would you even want to? Axolotls very rarely morph, and when they do, it's a very stressful time for them. Most cases you hear of axolotls turning into their land-walking selves is when they are in very poor, unsatisfactory conditions. there have been cases where people use some sort of hormone/chemical in the water to FORCE them to morph. Again, this is VERY stressful for the axolotl and shouldn't be done.

Not only does it stress the animal out, but it also GREATLY decreases their lifespan. Treat your axolotl right, and it'll be around for 10-15 years.
AuraCantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Ken Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and informationKen Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and informationKen Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and informationKen Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and information

I think the best answer to that question is to own an axolotl for a while (as a beautiful aquatic animal), fall in love with it, then ask yourself the same question in the future....
I believe that if an axolotl were to morph, it would decrease it's life-span significantly for a start.....
The axolotls kept for scientific study in labs (where inducing morphs artificially might have a place) are thought-of somewhat differently to the 'pet' axototl upon which this forum is generally based.
Feel free to browse the forum and ask any questions :)
Old 7th January 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

If you want a terrestrial salamander, why not just BUY a terrestrial salamander, rather than forcing metamorphosis on an axolotl?
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

One word: don't!
Old 7th January 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mekkha has shown reliable knowledge

Out of curiosity is there a specific reason you want to do this?
mekkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011   #7 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Based on this post and your previous post.. (http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...lied-newt.html), it sounds like have no concern for your animal's well-being. It's a shame you got your hands on such an exceptional animal.
Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Srkoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just sad
Srkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011   #9 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Crysta has shown reliable knowledgeCrysta has shown reliable knowledge

You have these animals, and you don't have the first clue about them, the only thing I have to suggest to you is to give these creatures away, to someone who actually cares in the slightest for them.

And do some research before you commit to looking after any animal in the future.

Thinking about mixing species? Think again. Why risk it?
--
Crysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: XeryusTC has given good advice and informationXeryusTC has given good advice and information

Trying to metamorphose your axolotl is VERY likely to just kill it straight away and if it doesn't then it is very unlikely that your axolotl will make it to the two year mark. All the cases that I've stumbled upon during my research have had axolotls that only lived one to one and a half years long after metamorphosis. It is quit sad as axolotls can easily live up to 15 years if you take proper care of them. And after all, isn't having a pet that lives longer not more fun? IMO it is.
Old 7th January 2011   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: siona has shown reliable knowledgesiona has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
If you want a terrestrial salamander, why not just BUY a terrestrial salamander, rather than forcing metamorphosis on an axolotl?
Quite right! They're not like pokemon you know!
siona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: zoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Same words as Kaysie and I would seriously re think having an axie they are amazing so please dont hurt one!!!
zoezakella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: water dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: How do i change my axolotl in to a land salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by water dawg View Post
what can i do turn my axolotl in to a land salamander??
it was just a dammm!!! question i was never going to do this!!!! THANKS TO THE NICE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED NICELY THANKS
water dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: HappySkittles has shown reliable knowledgeHappySkittles has shown reliable knowledge

people react a certain way to certain questions
when someone asks a question about an animal that can mean life or death on a website that has the information screaming at you, people responding arent going to be all flowers and sunshine

especially if a possible answer to that question means death for the animal
HappySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: DeCypher has shown reliable knowledge

You should have researched it before you bought it. If you want a terrestrial salamander, why not get a Tiger Salamander? You should give the Axolotl to someone who is more capable of caring for it, though.

In no way am I trying to offend you.
DeCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: mewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by water dawg View Post
it was just a dammm!!! question i was never going to do this!!!! THANKS TO THE NICE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED NICELY THANKS
Dude, your 'just a question' requested for the process for something which would most likely kill your axolotl. You asked for yourself, relating to your own axolotl. What did you expect people would think? The rest of your posts here so far have shown you have a lot yet to learn, and the people of this forum care about every single axolotl (etc ) that they hear about.

Unless you are simply trolling, I suggest you stop and think for that extra second or two before you post.
mewsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 68
Rep: otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11

If you were really interested, you could have done a search before posting this question...then you could have avoided all the unsupportive comments. This topic has been frequently discussed on the forum and if you had done some research, you would understand why it is upsetting and offensive to the community. It's cruel, shortens their life span, is unecessary, and as has been stated (and is the best reply for this): If you wanted a terrestrial salamander, you should have gotten one. The best way to change your axolotl into a land salamander is to rehome it with someone who appreciates it for what it is, and then getting a terrestrial salamander. But do some reading and research first. This site and our sister site, caudata culture, is full of information on most all species and issues.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011   #18 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11

My views on morphing axolotls have themselves changed as I researched about the process. Anyone attempting morphing should use hormones in the right dose and at the right size if they are to avoid creating a sickly morph.

If done right the result is a robust tiger salamander like creature. If done wrong through stupidity or ignorance then you are being cruel. The hormone is not usually available without prescription in most countries.

Why have a tiger salamander taken from the wild and shipped halfway round the world when you can have a captive raised morphed axolotl?

Axolotls are one of the easiest amphibians to keep because they do not usually morph. It is usually easiest to accept this is what they are but I really like my artificially morphed at the moment thriving axolotl.
oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote