The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How do you remove the poop?

This is a discussion on How do you remove the poop? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Originally Posted by Morrison So that they won't break into pieces, that the water goes murky and my axies think ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

View Poll Results: How do you remove the waste?

Siphoning 59 26.58%
Chopsticks 4 1.80%
Turkey Baster 125 56.31%
Hand-picked 4 1.80%
You don't 14 6.31%
Other methods. 16 7.21%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2011   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: virginia has started on the right path
Default Re: How do you remove the poop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
So that they won't break into pieces, that the water goes murky and my axies think it's some sort of Christmas in their tank (but brown)
lol. Yea I'm finding the turkey baster to be quite useful and we have plenty here in Toronto at the dollarstore. I think it could be arranged to get some shipped to other areas if theres a high enough demand. It might even be cheaper than online shipments. Let me know! Would be glad to help. :)

Old 27th February 2011   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: bunny27 has given good advice and informationbunny27 has given good advice and informationbunny27 has given good advice and information

I use a combination of the siphoning and the turkey baster. I do siphoning and this also helps suck up water so that I can do their water changes. Then I do turkey baster for the leftovers that the siphoning didn't take out. .

bunny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011   #23 (permalink)
Cas

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Cas has started on the right path

Kaysie! You may be onto something! I wouldn't know if there is high enough demand here in Australia. I like my siphoning method if only because it makes me do little water changes over the week rather than swapping out 30L at the end.

I guess just to prove how little turkey basters are required here. If I look locally in ebay and type turkey baster it autocorrects me claiming what I really desire is a turkey buster which is a hunting vest. I wonder if I'm removing poop wrong and I need to be gearing up black ops style to hunt down the elusive tank poop.

Cas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012   #24 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

chopsticks! ahaha thats seriously an option!

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012   #25 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

In Aus turkey basters come from a kitchen store or ebay. But you'l probably get less weird looks from ebay.

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dad of axle has shown reliable knowledge

Yes I had to try more than four stores in Australia before i found a turkey baster for 6 dollars in a great kitchen/cook shop. In one shop where i bought a fridge thermometer I told them I needed it to monitor the temp in the fridge for my axolotl. I don't think they were used to that sort of thing judging by the facial expression on the shop assistant. I wonder if she thought about reporting me to RSCPA for bizarre things, I also explained why I was looking for a turkey baster and the shop assistant thought that that was a logical use for a turkey baster.

dad of axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: No1Mustang is an unknown quantity at this point

I Don't have a turkey baster, I use a syringe with a peice of foot long pipe on the end, its quick, easy and weirdly fun, poo just gets sucked straight up the pipe, Axle often thinks the pipe is a worm and often chases it around the tank, and like a turkey baster its briliant for squirting water in hard to get places to clean / find poop

No1Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012   #28 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 7
Rep: GazerOfStars has shown reliable knowledgeGazerOfStars has shown reliable knowledge

Turkey Baster! One for waste disposal and another to catch runaway worms during mealtime.

Old 16th February 2012   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: StarFairy is an unknown quantity at this point

This might be a silly question but im new to this axie keeping thing! Mine doesnt seem to poop very often. Is this normal?

I siphon it out when i find it!

x

StarFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012   #30 (permalink)
jcj57

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I use a glass turkey baster (bought at a kitchen shop for about $6.00) or a long piece of plastic tubing & siphon.

Old 17th February 2012   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Dakkagor is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't find a turkey baster. . .so I use an icing syringe, which is like a mini siphon and works fairly well for cleaning up old food and their waste.

Old 17th February 2012   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Marian has started on the right path

I rarely had the chance to see the poo in my aquarium because it disolves in about 12 hours and then I can see all those tiny green beans that I can only imagine that are great for the plants. These little green beans also disolve in a few hours. So I dont syphon poo unless I see it there the next day too. The only thing I do syphon is the unatean food like bloodworms which get stuck between the leaves of the plants and rot. If you have a cycled aquarium, and a good filter, I think the axie poo is actually a very good nutrient for plants. I also like the look of it, big like a pill and it disolves into thousands of tiny green fertilizing stiks. Sounds eco to me.

Marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012   #33 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: hacelepues has given good advice and informationhacelepues has given good advice and informationhacelepues has given good advice and information

I accidentally stepped on my turkey baster and it cracked halfway up! It's a disaster because it doesn't siphon well now and I've been using this ghetto turkey baster for a month! It's the most tragic thing thing that's ever happened to me.

I need to buy a new one.

Want more axie forum fun? visit http://www.reddit.com/r/axolotls/
hacelepues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012   #34 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Katapie is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a turkey baster (bought in a $2 shop in Vic, Australia) during the week and on the weekend I do a quick vacuum of the tank floor and a water change. Mine enjoy snapping at anything that moves in their tank, apart from each other luckily! I'm hopeless at using chopsticks as it is, let alone in water while trying to pick up axie poop.

Katapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012   #35 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: buterflybaby22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old axie water and fish water is the BEST plant food. My neighbors take turns having me pour my water from my tanks when I change them !! I've not had to buy plant fertilizer in years.

buterflybaby22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012   #36 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: weofui has shown reliable knowledge

Thanks to this forum, I use a turkey baster as well. Possibly the best $3 I've ever spent.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

weofui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012   #37 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: axolotl lvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Its funny how something as gross as poo can get so many replies lol.. omg did u pay 20 for a turkey baster?? I got mine at the dollar store and it works so well!! I use it to pick poop up, picking up the bloodworm mess from my juvies and much more sooo handy!! Oh and when the poop does get to big to fit through the baster end, I will burn it a bit that way it will make the hole bigger

Old 3rd May 2012   #38 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SapphireTigress has started on the right path

Turkey Baster if its an immediate mess, if she does it right before water change, i just siphon it out.

Old 5th May 2012   #39 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: michel3171 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
Mbeh, turkey basters are pretty hard to find over here. (Stupid potato eating people... lol)
I know that feel, bro.

Anyways, I recently bought a Gravel Vacuumer, and a pump. But I returned the pump, but the Vacuumer is doing great! You don't need an AirPump, you can just blow air into the vacuumer. It does a great job! I just vacuum my whole tank, instead of only the gravel!

Old 13th July 2012   #40 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MandiceP has started on the right path

I have been using a small aquarium net to scoop out the poop that I can see, but I happen to be going to a dollar store today so if I see a turkey baster I might pick a couple up (one for my Kreacher and one for the Axolotl at the store I work at)

MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, cleaning, waste

LinkBack