The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Light melanoid?

This is a discussion on Light melanoid? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi, Is it possible for light melanoids to exist? I Thought they had to be black or very dark due ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By yellowpebble
  • 3 Post By Jennistophales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2011   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Question Light melanoid?

Hi,

Is it possible for light melanoids to exist? I Thought they had to be black or very dark due to the excess of malanin? think i am going to pick one up after work, for the last addition to my family :) I saw her in the pet store at lunch.

she is malanoid because she lacks the shiny eye ring and shiny skin, but she is a very light grey colour with very fine freckles, I'll post a picture of her tonight after i bring her home. She is so cute!

She has an injury though, one of her front legs looks like it has been bitten quite severely, it is all white with bits flaking off. It doesn't look like fungus just dead skin. I will quarantine her for a few weeks and nurse the leg, i was going to keep her in cool clean water. Would salt bath help? I know they are great for killing nasties but would it help her heal too?

thanks guys

Last edited by yellowpebble; 9th August 2011 at 06:56.
yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Light melanoid?

she looks like this picture i found on the net:

http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/i...72df37b6/l.jpg

very similar colour.
I'm so excited i pick her up in 15 minutes

Old 9th August 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: ACEPHONECHIC has started on the right path

She looks lovely go for it and let us see a pic of her once you have brought her home

ACEPHONECHIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Neil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and information

Pics please, you must be home by now?

Regards Neil

Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: lea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and information

yellow.....where are the piccies????

On the salt baths, I think I would wait and see if it is fungus first. If there is fungus then you will have to start salt baths but if ther isnt fungus i wouldnt do them yet. The salt baths might burn the open leg and make it worse.

lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Yes this is her! but the photo is terible, she looks quite dark and brown here because of lighting, i will try to get another tomorrow morning. She is closer to the colour of the one in the linked picture with a bit more brown. She is much lighter IRL so cute.

The top right leg, as you can se in the pic is very puffy, its twice as big as the others. The only real open part is up where it attaches to her body which you can't see in the picture. It looks craked and sore, but i think the puffy part is where it is healing because she has grown another foot on top of it! you can just see the mini foot down the bottom, sort on top of the massive origonal foot. So cool! I think it will heal, she settled in quite quickly and ate two worms no worries, so i dont think it is bothering her too much.

I had an interesting conversation with the pet store owner when i picked her up but i will start a new thread... its a bit ranty

Isn't she cute! I will try another picture tomorrow. Her name is Snack, because it looks like someone snacked on her leg.

Old 9th August 2011   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 9th August 2011   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: ACEPHONECHIC has started on the right path

she is sooo cute thanks for the pic. Lots of nice juicy worms and lots ot TLC (tender loving care) and she will be fine. Fascinating how the front leg has re-grown. Like the name Snack

ACEPHONECHIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Snack Is doing well, she looks much calmer and likes being in the dark. She eats like a pig! and she devours the red wrigglers unlike my other axies who spit them.

Old 11th August 2011   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: helobed has shown reliable knowledge

I can't see the pics on my laptop, would you be able to upload some more as attached thumbnails

helobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

i cant get it to work that way you can follow the link i provided? she is very similar to that

Old 11th August 2011   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: helobed has shown reliable knowledge

no silly internet. Does she look a bit like those lavender ones that jay somers was posting about by chance?

helobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

no its not quite as purple or spotted :)

Old 11th August 2011   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jennistophales has shown reliable knowledge

I have a lighter colored melanoid too. She's kind of charcoal on top with a light grey belly. Here's a picture of her.

Both of my little ladies love the camera, so little Penelope couldn't resist getting in there with Anouke.
Attached Thumbnails
Light melanoid?-img_0204.jpg  

Jennistophales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

thats fantastic! such loveley gills

Tags
axolotl, colour, genetics, leg, quarantine, sickness, tank

LinkBack