The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Live Daphnia. where do i get it?

This is a discussion on Live Daphnia. where do i get it? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi Ive finally taken the plunge and ordered my new baby axies. I have my tank, hidy holes, thermometer, solution, ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeangenie149
  • 1 Post By jeangenie149

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lincolnsmommy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Live Daphnia. where do i get it?

Hi

Ive finally taken the plunge and ordered my new baby axies. I have my tank, hidy holes, thermometer, solution, testing sticks, sand and everything i need. I collect them next Wednesday. Only problem is i cant find where to buy the live daphnia for them. There only babies so need the live stuff really. Ive tried different pet shops with no luck. Im in the essex area or can get them from around bromsgrove/redditch. Ive tried ordering some on ebay but theres a problem with there account so thats no good either.

thanks in advance

Lincolnsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jeangenie149 has given good advice and informationjeangenie149 has given good advice and informationjeangenie149 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Live Daphnia. where do i get it?

Hi.. Swallows in Rayleigh (Essex) and their other store called Mill Race near Colchester generally have deliveries of live Daphnia on a Friday, plus Bloodworms etc.... I would phone first to make sure they have some in stock..Hope this will help you

jeangenie149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lincolnsmommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeangenie149 View Post
Hi.. Swallows in Rayleigh (Essex) and their other store called Mill Race near Colchester generally have deliveries of live Daphnia on a Friday, plus Bloodworms etc.... I would phone first to make sure they have some in stock..Hope this will help you

Thanks Jean. Cant wait to collect them from you Wednesday. ill try them shops to see if i have any luck. Thanks for all your help :)

Lincolnsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

How big are the babies and have they developed their back legs? If they have got back legs you will not need to use daphnia (shop bought daphnia can work out expensive and the supply unreliable) try frozen bloodwprm instead. If the babies are still on livefood set up a BBS hatchery, or ask your supplier to wait till they are on frozen bloodworm. Feeding live food can cause problems if you dont grow your own as a break in supply can kill your babies.

xxianxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jeangenie149 has given good advice and informationjeangenie149 has given good advice and informationjeangenie149 has given good advice and information

Hi Ian.... These axies are now 2.5 inches and have their arms and legs and eating bloodworm etc.. We have now made contact as I did not recognise the name on the listing as the lady who is collecting these axies from me next week :)

jeangenie149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

At 2.5 inches, they're well past daphnia. I would be starting them on chunks of earthworm.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack