The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Will half an earthworm foul my water?

This is a discussion on Will half an earthworm foul my water? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have a 20 gallon axolotl tank with two axolotls. Somehow an earthworm managed to crawl behind the slate background ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: shultzbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will half an earthworm foul my water?

I have a 20 gallon axolotl tank with two axolotls. Somehow an earthworm managed to crawl behind the slate background of my tank and get stuck. The slate is siliconed to the back wall of the tank so there's no way to get to it. I removed half the worm which was sticking out a bit, but removing the rest seems to be impossible. Is this going to foul my water or is it OK to just monitor my levels and let nature take it course? I don't want to harm my axies but I realllllyyy don't want to break down my tank again.

shultzbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Will half an earthworm foul my water?

hi!

It won't matter if you have a fully cycled filter, it will break down naturally and the filter will take care of the water perameters for you. If you do not have a cycled filter, keep an eye on the water peramiters yourself and do water changes when nececary. The benifit of having a little bit of extra organic matter in the tank white the filter is cycling is that it will cycle faster, but you will have to do water charnges more frequently.

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

My aquarium is fully cycled and I just added a canister filter as well. Im leaving my sponge filter in there for a while so I can be sure the bacteria colonize the new filter. But thanks for the quick reply, I was worried there.

Old 27th June 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

no problem. if you were super worried after the worm has broken down a bit so it is mushy, you could try sucking it out with a turkey baster?

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

No I can't get to it because it crawled behind the area that is siliconed to the tank somehow. And I just checked my parameters and to my surprise it looks like my cycle is crashing so I stuffed my old sponge filter in the canister filter. Gonna check my levels in a few hours and hopefully they start dropping. I also have Java moss on the way. I feel so bad for my poor axies they must be very stressed. They don't want to eat either

LinkBack