The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

The never ending food debate

This is a discussion on The never ending food debate within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I would like to make a thread entirely on food. I know that earthworms are hands down the best but ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mr Feathergill has shown reliable knowledge
Default The never ending food debate

I would like to make a thread entirely on food.

I know that earthworms are hands down the best but what about the other foods, the strange ones. For not a staple, but as treats or just to vary diet. This is my, personal list of questions.

Food
What about tadpoles?in the wild I'm sure an axolotl would happily slurp an unsuspecting tadpole.
Crickets/Grasshoppers? If one fell in a lake at least my axolotl would definitely take the meal
Feeder fish, not so unusual and good food, but they can nip. Your opinions please?
Tidbits? Pieces of steak chicken and the like.
Dead feeder fish? Obviously not killed by a disease , more sacrificed for the well being of the axolotl.

Thanks for reading, feedback appreciated.

Mr Feathergill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Mr Feathergill has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: The never ending food debate

Also I have heard of ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp as food?!?

Add your own exotic foods!

Mr Feathergill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012   #3 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Have a look at these articles - many of your questions are answered here:

Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

Caudata Culture Articles - Fish with Caudates

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

in the ponds that I find ambystoma larvae there is certainly a ton of tadpoles and millions of small invertebrates. I think tadpoles would be an awesome addition to axolotls and other ambystoma larvae. Of course they should be captive bred to ensure they are clean of all diseases and aren't hurting declining populations. I find a lot of sick tadpoles in the wild. This might be more trouble than it's worth, but it's something I'll be trying in the near future.

Snails with soft shells (reducing a risk of impaction) are something I assume many axolotls and other ambystoma larvae eat a lot of. Also crustaceans like fairy shrimp and scuds must be eaten in great abundance and there is plenty of info on this site for culturing them.

I stick mostly to worms, but I like to try other food sources as I find them.

JessKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Olivia97 has shown reliable knowledgeOlivia97 has shown reliable knowledge

Has anyone heard of spirulina pellets? Not as staple but in addition?

Old 5th October 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dvsgal has started on the right path

I have put live ghost shrimp in buttercups tank before.

Its great entertainment as the shrimp are hard to see and are very quick, freaked her out a little as she couldn't really see them, it took her 5 weeks to catch 8 ghost shrimp.
They also started breeding in her live plants.

Nutrition value, I don't know
Will help with boredom tho lol

dvsgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crickets, feeder fish, food debate, tadpoles, tidbits

LinkBack