The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Introducing baby axis to my axi

This is a discussion on Introducing baby axis to my axi within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have an axolotl named Axel and we just got him a nice big tank with lots of greenery and ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: dlev878 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Introducing baby axis to my axi

I have an axolotl named Axel and we just got him a nice big tank with lots of greenery and things to hide in. I was wanting to get him a friend, hes about 9 months old and id say about 20cm. Would introducing a baby be a stupid idea as in would he eat him if the baby was about 10 cm?

dlev878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Olivia97 has shown reliable knowledgeOlivia97 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Introducing baby axis to my axi

Some photos would be useful to see a size difference, but maybe if you have lots of hides and greenery and i mean lots it would be okay, alternatively consider a tank divider

Old 25th October 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dlev878 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont have the friend yet :P in the process of finding one but when I will I shall post, its just that its breeding season here and most are babies

dlev878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: millerj76 has given consistently good advice and informationmillerj76 has given consistently good advice and informationmillerj76 has given consistently good advice and information

There would be a good chance that if you put a small axolotl in with a big axolotl, the big axolotl would harm the little one, axolotls tend to try eating anything that moves and anything that will fit in their mouths, so i would take the above advice and either use a divider, or create a lot of hiding places.

millerj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I personally would not keep two axolotl together if there is too much of a size difference. Try and find one that is a similar size to your original

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Introducing a 10cm axolotl to a 20cm one would be asking for trouble, no matter how many plants or hides you place in the tank.

LinkBack