The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

They clearly don't like tiger worms! How do you keep earthworms alive over winter.

This is a discussion on They clearly don't like tiger worms! How do you keep earthworms alive over winter. within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I thought I'd try them on a couple of compost worms before the winter sets in and the earthworms get ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaysie
  • 1 Post By jhonny
  • 2 Post By Sam77
  • 1 Post By Kaysie
  • 1 Post By caleb
  • 2 Post By tumptyteapot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tumptyteapot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default They clearly don't like tiger worms! How do you keep earthworms alive over winter.

I thought I'd try them on a couple of compost worms before the winter sets in and the earthworms get difficult to dig up. They ate them ok, then spat them right back up. I've said sorry with some frozen bloodworm but they are sulking big time!

How do you keep earthworms alive over the winter?

tumptyteapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: They clearly don't like tiger worms! How do you keep earthworms alive over winter.

Depending on the type of earthworm, many of them do fine in some dirt in the refrigerator.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: They clearly don't like tiger worms! How do you keep earthworms alive over winter.

Thanks but how do I keep enough to feed them over the winter - there will be about 5 months before the ground starts to heat up and the worms are easier to dig for, They eat a worm each every other day.

Old 28th October 2012   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

You can always purchase more worms. Most reputable pet shops carry them.

Old 28th October 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
You can always purchase more worms. Most reputable pet shops carry them.
you can buy earthworms in shops! wow, I really didn't know that! They have bloodworms occasionally but it's an expensive way to feed them. Thanks.

Old 29th October 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jhonny has started on the right path

expensive?

i pay 5 euro to keep my axies happy for 3 to 4 weeks.
AND i dont have to get my hands dirty digging in a pile of compost..

jhonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

the only thing Pets at home had were mealworms and they spat those up too

Old 29th October 2012   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

In the beginning of October I ordered two cases of nightcrawlers to last me through the winter - that's 60 containers of a dozen worms each, to last me until April. They take up the bottom shelf in my fridge.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

What would we know a nightcrawler as in the UK?
I got 20 earthworms for 2.50 from a fishing shop, they are getting a worm each every other day so that's 20 days supply of food, it's not terribly expensive but roll on summer when I can dig them up.
I decided to keep the mealworms as pets :-) They are in a wilkos terrarium now munching on cabbage and bread.

Old 31st October 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sam77 has given good advice and informationSam77 has given good advice and information

Worms direct! Worms are healthy and keep for ages in the fridge. Much better than the horrible skanky worms my LPS sells.

Buy Worms for Fishing Bait and Composting | Worms Direct

Sam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Fab, thank you. Before I read about Worms Direct I bought a small tub from a fishing shop. The axies are now on hunger strike though and they are spitting earthworms up too. I'm going to not feed them for a couple of days and see if that makes the earthworms a bit more attractive, unless anyone has any better ways of getting them to trust me again.

Old 31st October 2012   #12 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

The starvation method is a good one. It usually works.

Old 1st November 2012   #13 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumptyteapot View Post
What would we know a nightcrawler as in the UK?
Lobworm.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sam77 has given good advice and informationSam77 has given good advice and information

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the worms from bait shops are the wrong kind of worms to feed them (are they called red wrigglers?) so this might be why they are refusing them? This is from memory though, so might be worth checking out from a search maybe? Or it could be that yours are just fussy!!

Sam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam77 View Post
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the worms from bait shops are the wrong kind of worms to feed them (are they called red wrigglers?) so this might be why they are refusing them? This is from memory though, so might be worth checking out from a search maybe? Or it could be that yours are just fussy!!
The bait shop had a few different types and these are definatly earth worms. I think mine are just confused now. I gave them some frozen bloodworm yesterday (started using a feeding jar and it's great!) and they eventually gobbled them up. I think a few days between feeds will sort them out.

LinkBack