The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Gluttons!

This is a discussion on Gluttons! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Ok so my guys usually arent very big eaters - I did attempt to feed my girl up after laying ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chugga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 8
Rep: Chugga has shown reliable knowledge
Default Gluttons!

Ok so my guys usually arent very big eaters - I did attempt to feed my girl up after laying her clutch but the end result was just more leftovers to take out again. I have been poaching their decorations for the baby tanks (yeah yeah big meanie I know) and thought while the tank was still pretty bare I might as well give them a new hide..... not that they have ever used one mind ..... thought maybe they just think cut off pipe isnt classy enough for them so got a terracotta plant pot that was just a lil bit fancy - cut it on an angle and sanded down the edges and the inside to see if they might like that more.

Toothless went in for a look - thats it so far

Anyhow I had fed them yesterday (they dont eat everyday usually) but I thought what the heck after cleaning the floor and putting their new hide in (and taking them out while I did it) I thought I would feed them.

A couple of minutes and everything gone - woah that was quick they must be really hungry.

FOUR feeds and they scoffed it all down.

Its like they got bulimia without the bringing it back up LOL. Im not worried at all.... its just weird for them to scoff food down. They dont seem too impressed with the new hide either - ingrates ! They have both had a go at what looks like they are trying to move it outta their way (perhaps just checking/testing it out?)

Otherwise they still the same - Toothless still comes to the front glass for a chat when I talk to him and nods as if to say " Yes Dear" intermittently .... reminds me of my granddad lol.

One day I will have my kitchen benches back ........ maybe

Chugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Gluttons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugga View Post
Ok so my guys usually arent very big eaters - I did attempt to feed my girl up after laying her clutch but the end result was just more leftovers to take out again. I have been poaching their decorations for the baby tanks (yeah yeah big meanie I know) and thought while the tank was still pretty bare I might as well give them a new hide..... not that they have ever used one mind ..... thought maybe they just think cut off pipe isnt classy enough for them so got a terracotta plant pot that was just a lil bit fancy - cut it on an angle and sanded down the edges and the inside to see if they might like that more.

Toothless went in for a look - thats it so far

Anyhow I had fed them yesterday (they dont eat everyday usually) but I thought what the heck after cleaning the floor and putting their new hide in (and taking them out while I did it) I thought I would feed them.

A couple of minutes and everything gone - woah that was quick they must be really hungry.

FOUR feeds and they scoffed it all down.

Its like they got bulimia without the bringing it back up LOL. Im not worried at all.... its just weird for them to scoff food down. They dont seem too impressed with the new hide either - ingrates ! They have both had a go at what looks like they are trying to move it outta their way (perhaps just checking/testing it out?)

Otherwise they still the same - Toothless still comes to the front glass for a chat when I talk to him and nods as if to say " Yes Dear" intermittently .... reminds me of my granddad lol.

One day I will have my kitchen benches back ........ maybe
It's nice to see a post about someones axolotls being piggies rather than starving themselves! The only reason I can think as to why they would eat a lot is because your temps may have risen slightly, but if it hasn't - they were just hungry! Mine are the same with hides and they cost a bomb! Mum's not impressed.

Old 6th November 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Came out this morning - huh wheres Nightfury???

In the hide .... YES Im a genuis lol.

Oh is nearly summer here - they are in a cool spot but a slight rise in temp could well be the case.

Last edited by Chugga; 6th November 2012 at 19:47. Reason: Typing in my sleep
Old 7th November 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugga View Post
Came out this morning - huh wheres Nightfury???

In the hide .... YES Im a genuis lol.

Oh is nearly summer here - they are in a cool spot but a slight rise in temp could well be the case.
The temps probably your best best then! Obviously it's nothing to worry about so long as it doesn't get too warm but it will cause them to eat more!

Old 7th November 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Cheers - it shouldnt get too warm there at all - barely gets any sun at all in that corner and gets less and less as the summer gets closer (plus the plants outside filter it out as well) .... will be cold in winter though..... well cold for us anyway.

She still hasnt come out of the hide - I think she likes it :)

LinkBack