The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl care in Winter

This is a discussion on Axolotl care in Winter within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Heya guys, living in the highlands of Scotland presents lots of challenges. One of those is temperature. With the decrease ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By NeekaLovesYou
  • 1 Post By bellabelloo
  • 1 Post By JessKB
  • 7 Post By xxianxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Zilknitha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl care in Winter

Heya guys, living in the highlands of Scotland presents lots of challenges. One of those is temperature. With the decrease in temperature how should i be keeping Tyrion happy? I have tried to keep the heating stable in the house, but he is still looking a bit down and has become a bit sluggish. Need tips on food, tank and things that will blast away his winter blues
Thanks

Zilknitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Moobear2010 has started on the right path

Maybe put a heater in but keep it set to low ? So it does still keep to a correct temperature. I live in yorkshire and have to hav a heater in i keep it at 19c just so if it goes too low it will click on n help .. X

Moobear2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Zilknitha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl care in Winter

Thanks i shall try that and keep you posted. :-)

Zilknitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information

Cold temperatures rarely bother or cause damage to axolotls unless they're way into the minus' but yes, a heater could help stabilize temperature, obviously keeping it between 16-18 degrees would be ideal. Once at a stable temperature your axolotl should resume his eating habits. Being in the cold slows the metabolism thus them choosing to eat less.

Old 9th November 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Axolotl can cope and thrive well in very low temperatures. I personally would not worry about using a heater at all.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I would be more worried about a heater malfunctioning than an axolotl getting too cold.

JessKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

My axolotls are in my shed at 8c-10c, they are eating about half as much as usual and not moving , so no change there lol, if yours are kept this cold in your house I would recomend a jumper and two pairs of socks.

Old 10th November 2012   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: hacelepues has given good advice and informationhacelepues has given good advice and informationhacelepues has given good advice and information

I really wouldn't worry about it. If his water isn't frozen, he's happy! I always notice a big difference in my axies in the winter. They really just look healthier overall in water that I can't stand to put my hand it for too long!!!

Also, I love the name Tyrion! I hope he's a golden albino

Want more axie forum fun? visit http://www.reddit.com/r/axolotls/
hacelepues is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack