The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Regurgitates worm

This is a discussion on Regurgitates worm within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, i'm newbi of this forum. I have a couple of axolotl. The female regurgitates earthworms ! Why this ? ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Neik0s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Neik0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Regurgitates worm

Hello, i'm newbi of this forum.

I have a couple of axolotl. The female regurgitates earthworms ! Why this ? She eats any other tipe of food ( at least for chironomus, trout and bloodworms ), but she doesn't eat this basic food.

I post also a video to explain the situation. She She really seems to regurgitates the worms !

Ps : i cut the worms before feed she, but this isn't the solution.

Bye, thanks for answers!

Click the image to open in full size. Powered by VideoBam - Free Video Hosting

Neik0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Regurgitates worm

Your video doesn't work.

How often do you feed them? Regurgitation is almost always a case of over-feeding.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Fast, Free Video Hosting & Video Sharing - VideoBam this is the video! She eats 2/3 time a week, 1 worms or 1,5 worm xD

Old 10th November 2012   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Did you see her spit out the worm? Are you sure the worms are small enough? Feeding food that's too big can cause regurgitation too.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Probably the worm was too big! I feed her today whit the same worms and she eats without problems!

Old 17th November 2012   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 11
Rep: EmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and information

My axie did this after I accidentally dropped an entire worm into his feeding tank and he snapped it up before I could do anything. Naive as I was, I thought this meant he was big enough to be able to eat them whole.

Nope.

Don't get me wrong; Godric was perfectly happy to gobble up two or three whole worms... which he regurgitated later that night.

For my case, it was definitely a double-whammy of over feeding and the food being too big. For your girl, you might just want to try cutting the worm up for her. I suggest bites that are a little smaller than the width of her head. Try that out, and if it works then hurrah!

EmbryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: imzunicorn has shown reliable knowledge

I agree, I think you just need to feed her smaller sized worms. If she spits it out, cut it smaller and try again until she can get it down.

imzunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack