The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Very confused..

This is a discussion on Very confused.. within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Okay so when i got my axolotls the seller told me they were lecustic. Im now starting to think he ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaysie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2012   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information
Exclamation Very confused..

Okay so when i got my axolotls the seller told me they were lecustic.
Im now starting to think he lied, my lottle is see through with black spots all along his back and no shiny ring in his eye.
This always seems to lead to melanoid lottles?
Can anyone verify this please?

Very confused..-upload-6.jpg

This is little lottle

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information
Default Re: Very confused..

Just to be clear, this is what the seller said "There are 3 adult Axolotls in my 4' tank, and while the female which laid the eggs is not identifiable (Leucistic or Albino)
the male is known (Leucistic) as he was observed fertilising all the eggs (he can be seen during fertilisation)
"

Old 11th November 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and information

If the picture you included in the post is the axolotl in question it is a wild type.

The male can be seen leaving a spermatophore but unless he observed its deposite and the female absorbing it then he has no idea what he is talking about. These little guys to not spawn like fish.

Axolotl genetics are not as easy as putting two leucistics together and getting all Leucistic babies. You get a mix in most cases.

Old 11th November 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Question Re: Very confused..

Yeah thats a picture of my little guy, thought it might help

Okay just so im clear, even if two lecustics had babies you could get melanoid or wildtype babies still?

He is saying that he has 1 male only and he is lecustic, and that the mother was either a golden albino or another lecustic.

I didnt know that melanoids or wildtypes could come from lecustics or albinos haha, i guess you learn something new everyday :)

Old 11th November 2012   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

That's definitely a wildtype. The yellow on the head is pretty clear; melanoids usually lack yellow, in addition to 'shiny' pigments.

Chances are the mother was golden. If two leucistics spawn, all of the larvae will be leucistic. If the golden and the leucistic spawn, they'll probably be all wildtype, unless either parent is recessive for the other's trait.

The best way to determine which female laid the eggs is to ask him what color the eggs were when they were freshly laid. If they were white, the mother was albino. If they were brown/black and white, the mother was the leucistic.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and information

I guess my Leucistic female had spawned with my younger golden male then since she most definantly did not have all Leucistic larvae. Guess I know he is mature enough to breed.

Old 12th November 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Oh how strange, i think im going to buy a couple eggs and raise them to be stitches friend hes only around 7-8 weeks so it should only take i would assume around 2-3 months from him being full adult, untill these are also full adult and i can introduce them to eachother :)

LinkBack