The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Godric doesn't play well with others?

This is a discussion on Godric doesn't play well with others? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My axolotl is a little over a year old now, and though I'm not looking into it right now, I ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By NeekaLovesYou
  • 1 Post By NeekaLovesYou
  • 1 Post By EmbryH
  • 3 Post By FireStar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2012   #1 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 11
Rep: EmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and information
Default Godric doesn't play well with others?

My axolotl is a little over a year old now, and though I'm not looking into it right now, I would eventually like to get another axie at some point in time.

The problem is that I acquired Godric in the first place because he didn't get along with his previous tank mate, who is still owned by one of my housemates. Godric was a bit of a bully, and eventually his tank mate had enough of it and took one of Godric's feet off. My housemate had to separate them, and thus Godric fell into my care.

I'm absolutely in love with him, I really am, but I was wondering if he might ever be capable of having a tank mate and, if so, are there any steps I can take to make his environment a little more harmonious and conducive to a new axie?

EmbryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Godric doesn't play well with others?

It's really hard to say. If a tank is very well planted, has lots of hiding places and the axies are kept well fed, the aggressive behavior may subside, but there's no guarantee. If he was capable of bullying before, he'll be capable of doing it again. I would say don't risk it unless you're willing and able to afford a second set up in case he just isn't at all interested in having a tank mate, for the sake of both of them.- some axolotls just do better on their own.

Old 16th November 2012   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: EmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and information

How much is "well fed" ? Before I got him, he was fed once a week, 2-3 earthworms each feeding. I like to feed Godric twice a week, 1-2 earthworms each feeding, and occasionally a feeder fish as a treat. Does that sound fed enough to discourage bullying?

Old 16th November 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information

The average for an adult should be about 3 times a week. My juveniles are fed daily until they hit the 6 inch mark, so he could have been eating a lot more when he was younger. This could have been the reason why the bullying began in the first place. Axolotls are definitely willing the nip anything moving if they're hungry, including tankmates. If you're able to vary his diet with extra sources such a pellets, blood worm, etc he should be getting enough. For example, you could give him 2 good sized earthworms plus a couple of pellets 3 times a week and it should keep him happy.

Old 17th November 2012   #5 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Awesome! Thank you!

When I first got him and he had to regenerate a few limbs I fed him daily, so at least he hasn't been underfed his entire life ><;

I'll start giving him a bit more now :)

Old 17th November 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: FireStar has given good advice and informationFireStar has given good advice and informationFireStar has given good advice and information

I agree with Dinx/Neeka (sorry! I'm not sure what you would prefer to be called!)

Mine tend to get a little bitey with one another during feeding time, which is why I feed them when they are on opposite sides of the tanks.

OMG! I HAVE TO USE THIS SMILEY I have pet frogs too!

Old 17th November 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStar View Post
I agree with Dinx/Neeka (sorry! I'm not sure what you would prefer to be called!)

Mine tend to get a little bitey with one another during feeding time, which is why I feed them when they are on opposite sides of the tanks.

OMG! I HAVE TO USE THIS SMILEY I have pet frogs too!
That's ok They're both nicknames so it really doesn't matter!

Tags
axolotl, tank mate

LinkBack