The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Do axolotls shed skin?

This is a discussion on Do axolotls shed skin? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; And I don't mean like a snake sheds skin in one giant molt like that. I mean, like little bits ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Olivia97
  • 1 Post By imzunicorn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: imzunicorn has shown reliable knowledge
Default Do axolotls shed skin?

And I don't mean like a snake sheds skin in one giant molt like that. I mean, like little bits of skin continuously?

imzunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Olivia97 has shown reliable knowledgeOlivia97 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Do axolotls shed skin?

Generally I've heard no, but if they have bad water quality or their slime coat is damaged you may see it start to "shed"

Old 17th November 2012   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 11
Rep: EmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and informationEmbryH has given consistently good advice and information

I've heard, though I don't know for certain, that sometimes they'll shed their protective slime coating if they get too stressed. Might be something to look into, and if you find this is the case, maybe check out some water treatments that help stimulate the growth of a new slime coat?

These are just suggestions of where to start researching; don't take what I've said as written-in-stone, as I'm still fairly new at this.

EmbryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: imzunicorn has shown reliable knowledge

Really? I had heard that they don't have a slime coat and that's why you're not only able to touch them, but that you shouldn't use dechlorinator with stress coat in it.

Anyway, no, I don't have a problem with any of mine shedding skin dramatically. Although a few days ago, Spider had a fungus. I also had like 5 dead guppies in another tank because I didn't notice the filter wasn't on. The dead guppies were fuzzy with fungus. There were also bits of food everywhere that had fungus on it.

Anyway, during Spider's salt bath, I noticed he was shedding bits of skin and it dawned on me. Maybe the reason that axolotls get fungus is because they shed skin and that the rotting bits of flesh are attacked by bacteria. Would make sense since fungus, after so long, does eat at their living flesh.

If they shed when they're stressed, this would explain it. They're stressed by poor water quality. Also why it happens when they have an open wound, rotting flesh. In my case, Spider had a foot bit off by Monster when I put him in the tank temporarily and was being picked on by the other two after I moved Monster back. I realized how stressed he was after putting him in a quarantine tank alone because he hadn't eaten for nearly a week and now has been eating since being alone.

I figured they shed skin constantly because a lack of slime coat?

imzunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Olivia97 has shown reliable knowledgeOlivia97 has shown reliable knowledge

Hmm that's a good point but i thought they did have a slime coat? maybe someone with a more definite answer could help

Old 18th November 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Cheva has started on the right path

Axies do have a slime coat, I've only heard of them shedding after incidents where they have been dry after escaping their tank etc.. Perhaps a water quality issue?

Old 18th November 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information

Yes, they do have a slime coat. I said the following thing in another thread.
The mother of one of my friends accidentally dropped some bleach (don't know why but oh well) in my friend's axie tank. The axies started to shed like maniacs. I've never seen such thing. Days later they stopped shedding (my friend did a water change immediately after the bleach got into the tank but they shed for days probably... Poor things).
I thought they were about to die. They're still alive and now they're perfectly healthy. Thank god.

LinkBack