The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

"detoxing " worms

This is a discussion on "detoxing " worms within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So....I've been given a bucket full of big fat juicy garden worms, but cannot verify whether any pesticides / chemicals ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: AxieMama has shown reliable knowledge
Default "detoxing " worms

So....I've been given a bucket full of big fat juicy garden worms, but cannot verify whether any pesticides / chemicals have been used in the garden.

Is there any way I can detox the worms before feeding to my axies just in case???

Thanks in advance

AxieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: "detoxing " worms

Hello?? Anyone??

Old 25th November 2012   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

If the worms have been in contact with pesticides or herbicides you should not use them. If there is any doubt as to whether chemicals have been used in the garden you should not take the risk. Many garden chemicals are non-lethal to earthworms but that doesn't mean the chemicals won't bioaccumulate within animals further up the food chain and amphibians have been shown to be very sensitive to many herbicides and pesticides.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hmmmmm...Yes... Most definitely better to be safe than sorry...

UGH!!! And they were so nice and big and fat and juicy too!!!!!

Oh well...Thanks Mark. Not what I wanted to hear lol, but grateful all the same xox

LinkBack