The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Soon to be owner needs help and is curious

This is a discussion on Soon to be owner needs help and is curious within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi I'm new and was wondering about these questions... How many axolotl should live in a 70 litre tank? Does ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NeekaLovesYou
  • 1 Post By Moobear2010

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: paws4eva is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Soon to be owner needs help and is curious

Hi I'm new and was wondering about these questions...
How many axolotl should live in a 70 litre tank?
Does colour refer to personality? (example- albinos are shy but wilds are very friendly)
Do axolotls like to play with things(I heard they liked to push around mossballs) ?
If an axolotl could live in its ideal dream tank what would the tank be like? (I want my axolotl spoiled!)

paws4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Soon to be owner needs help and is curious

I would say 70 liter is big enough for just the one, being as you're going to need plants, hides etc which will occupy a lot of space. Axolotls are not capable of higher feelings. I feel they are able to recognize their owner but mainly because they know if you're near the tank, they're most likely to get food - coloration makes no difference.
The perfect tank would have a sand substrate, lots of plants and hiding spots so the axolotl feels safe. It will be worth investing in a good quality filter with spray bar attachment to calm outflow - axolotls don't like strong water currents. I wouldn't say they like to play. If they chase something around, for example a moss ball, it will be moving so once again, they probably believe it's food.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Am...exicanum.shtml

Old 27th November 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: paws4eva is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm.... ok so... 70 litres= 1 axolotl... cool. thx. I must disagree with you though on the higher feelings thing. Is curiousity a higher feeling? Ive definitely learnt enough about them to know they can be curious. Also a lot of things ive read involve axolotls doing things completly unrelated to food or survival. For instance ive heard that some axolotls like to play in bubbles i dont think thats related to food at all. Also i think they do have personalitys but i was wondering if colour affected it. I dont know first hand but just what ive read. so now can i rephrase my remaining questions. (sorry i dont mean to sound rude you were realy helpful with the first and last question)

What toys or enrichment objects do people use? (eg climbing, sitting, pushing objects)
Do different types of axolotls have different personalitys and behave differently?

paws4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information

I've read of people putting golf balls in their tanks, pond ornaments such as floating ducks, etc but I feel this is more for the human enjoyment of watching the axolotl push them around rather than the axolotl playing. They won't climb anything, they'll swim and sit on top of things (large cave hides for example) and occasionally hang around in plants. They'll "play" in the bubbles from an air stone again, because it's moving. I personally don't feel axolotls have personalities, they don't exhibit behavior to show affection, at most axolotls can be introverted (constantly hiding) or extroverted and their eating habits can range from somewhat finicky to extremely greedy. But it's each to their own.
I've noticed age affects behavior. Very young juveniles will often swim around the tank whereas adults prefer to walk on the tank floor, only reaching the surface for air.

Old 27th November 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Moobear2010 has started on the right path

Disagree with climbing bit as my tuts and nibbles climb up plants and climb up on top of their plantpot hides (not swim) not seen mine play with anything at all sorry on that front, also dont think they have outstanding personalities but that may just be mine haha they arent often seen together which influences my opinion that they dont have feelings for each other however contradicting myself they do stress if seperated.. Thought id just post some pics too :)

Soon to be owner needs help and is curious-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354021536.382080.jpg

Soon to be owner needs help and is curious-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354021564.063420.jpg

Good luck in your venture into axie ownership they are very hypnotic and addictive!! :) xx

Moobear2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
70 litre, axolotl, beginner, colour, personality, play

LinkBack