The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Axolotl Transport Methods

This is a discussion on Axolotl Transport Methods within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey everyone, It is once again I turn to the more experienced for help regarding my lotl! In about 2 ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By RupertxGiles
  • 2 Post By Kaysie
  • 1 Post By mewsie
  • 2 Post By Morrison

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: springee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl Transport Methods

Hey everyone,

It is once again I turn to the more experienced for help regarding my lotl!

In about 2 weeks I have to take a 4 hour drive to my house for the rest of the summer, and need to take my axolotl with me. I have only transported him once before from my house to my college apartment, when he was probably only about a month or so old, and he very nearly died because of the stress. He's now almost a year old, and seems to be much hardier than when he was younger, but the thought of traveling with him scares me still!!!! I was wondering what was the best method to transport him for this trip??? I have a large igloo cooler that I can use to keep the temperatures down to minimize stress, but I haven't figured out what I should put him in for the 4 hour trip to keep the water from sloshing.

Any help in the matter is greatly appreciated!!!

Evan
springee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RupertxGiles has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Axolotl Transport Methods

Hey there, we have moved a few times with our axolotls and have had no issues with it. I think that it would be much more stressful on a very young juvie as you mentioned. We have never transported our axies in the summer but I think the cooler is a great idea. Purchase something like a critter keeper if you can. This way you will always have a transport/emergency container for your little one on hand. Make sure the water is cool and clean , and put the critter keeper in the cooler. These come with lids so you can be sure he won't come splashing out. I would pack some ice under the critter keeper as well for good measure. Bring a thermometer with you and maybe periodically check the water temperate during the drive. Hope this helped!,
RupertxGiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Skip the critter-keeper and get a big tupperware or a small rubbermaid. It's way cheaper, and less apt to break.

As for transport, get a tupperware, put him in, put the lid on, try not to hit anything. Set up the tank first thing and set him floating so he can acclimate. I've driven my critters all over the country with no ill effects.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information

I'm transporting my axolotl next month. The plan is to get a large round tupperware to put him in. If he gets thrown around a little on the motorway he won't have any hard edges to bash into. I'm going to balance his tupperware on wet towels in a box or bucket to keep him cool and hopefully give a bit of extra padding. It's good you asked, better to think and plan ahead!
snuggly time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: mewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Skip the critter-keeper and get a big tupperware or a small rubbermaid. It's way cheaper, and less apt to break.

As for transport, get a tupperware, put him in, put the lid on, try not to hit anything. Set up the tank first thing and set him floating so he can acclimate. I've driven my critters all over the country with no ill effects.
This is my plan for moving at the weekend... particularly the not hitting things part. Or people. Not that I'm stressed or anything, you understand.

Out of interest Kaysie, what size tupperware tubs did you move yours in? (What do you consider 'big' tupperware?)
mewsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I use the 'entree size' gladware tubs, for those folks state-side. They hold about 2l of liquid, and are about a foot long.
Old 9th July 2013   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information

I use large plastic buckets.
Old 10th July 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

I used to use buckets, but I can pack small containers much more easily than I can large buckets. I did use buckets for my sirens, and to hold all my tank decorations and filter media.
Old 10th July 2013   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information

My brother also buys a lot of this whey protein stuff in large amounts...
Click the image to open in full size.

Those plastic things are awesome for lotl transportation or during tank clean ups :)