The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is it better to have one or two axolotl?

This is a discussion on Is it better to have one or two axolotl? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Can't decide on whether I should get one or two axolotl! I have a 20 gallon tank. Will my axie ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CJ1981

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aikeler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it better to have one or two axolotl?

Can't decide on whether I should get one or two axolotl!
I have a 20 gallon tank.
Will my axie be happier with a friend? Or does it not matter?

Aikeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information
Default Re: Is it better to have one or two axolotl?

Is it quite lengthy? It's better to have length than height as they like to crawl around (at least my two do!) I think once you get one axolotl, you'll end up wanting more and more just make sure they are roughly the same size so there's a smaller chance of bullying

HayleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aikeler is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it is a 20 gallon long!

Aikeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: CJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

My general understanding is that they do not need 'friends' so one on it's own will be quite content in a 20 gallon long.

However, Axolotls are very addictive and I guarantee that while your lotl will be happy on their lonesome you will develop a need to have at least one of every colour. Bite the bullet now and sell all superfluous items in the house (sofa, kids, partner etc) and get the biggest tank you can fit through the door or get multiple tanks then get collecting

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions
CJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information

But saying that, I personally would go a bit bigger as you never know how many you may end up getting.. I just bought a 3ft to have two axolotls and I want a bigger tank for more! It also looks better when there's more room for them to swim around and to decorate. Getting a bigger tank saves the drama of cycling a even bigger one in the future and the hassle/stress of moving your buddies.

HayleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1981 View Post
My general understanding is that they do not need 'friends' so one on it's own will be quite content in a 20 gallon long.

However, Axolotls are very addictive and I guarantee that while your lotl will be happy on their lonesome you will develop a need to have at least one of every colour. Bite the bullet now and sell all superfluous items in the house (sofa, kids, partner etc) and get the biggest tank you can fit through the door or get multiple tanks then get collecting
Yup. They are so very addictive indeed. I'm at 5 axolotls right now, looking to get a copper one somewhere in September... that'll put me at 6

Tephra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: CJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I'm up to 8, the last four I had to snuggle past my partner then pretend they'd always been there and he'd just missed them in the tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tephra View Post
Yup. They are so very addictive indeed. I'm at 5 axolotls right now, looking to get a copper one somewhere in September... that'll put me at 6

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions
CJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Quentari has started on the right path

They are addictive!! I have five so far, just missing a lecustic before I have one of each of the basic colour morphs (without going into colour variants within a morph)

Axolotl's don't really make friends, per se, but as many people on here will tell you splitting up two axies that have been sharing a tank for a long time can get some 'depressed' behavior from them. When I took my lecustic out of my tank for treatment my gold and melanoid didn't eat for nearly a week! I like to think they missed her (although they got over her pretty quickly when the copper went in the tank!)

Quentari is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack