The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Coldwater fish for food

This is a discussion on Coldwater fish for food within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, can anyone advise if you can use any cold water fish for axie food? I know you can use ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Howie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coldwater fish for food

Hello,

can anyone advise if you can use any cold water fish for axie food?

I know you can use guppies but aren't they tropical? how long can they survive in the axie tank if they don't get eaten?

many thanks

Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mamangenn has started on the right path
Default Re: Coldwater fish for food

i ve tried to feed guppy to my axolotl... and they ate it:) i am raising some guppy to feed my axolotl next winter when the worms gonna be harder to find

mamangenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

but they are tropical aren't they? I don't think the wife would let me set up yet another tank! lol

Old 12th August 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mamangenn has started on the right path

yes i think they are... but my fry tank is set up with no heater. just room temperature. they adapt well.

i have a heater in my breeding tank to have more breeding.

so when i put the fish from my fry tank to my axololt tank... the temperature difference is not that big.

they adapt well to the axolotl tank but they dont live long with the axolotl...

mamangenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

that's great, thanks, want to but some tonight, the will need to be put into quarantine though or just throw them straight in?

Old 12th August 2013   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

We have just set up a guppy breeding tank for axie food. You shouldn't feed fish from a pet shop straight to your axies - you never know what they might be carrying, and any live food should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks if not longer anyway.

Guppies are tropical, but for the day or so they will be at room temperature in with the axies they will be fine. If in doubt acclimatise them in a tub or bag the same way as adding fish to any aquarium.

But if you are looking for cheap live food river shrimp are great - most of the commercially available ones are bred away from fish and therefore don't usually carry the same risk as fish.

auntiejude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tea Addict is an unknown quantity at this point

I get guppies from a family member who breeds certain colours, the ones he doesn want to breed get given to my axies and in my experiance the guppies are in the axie tank long enough to worry about the temp! When my axies were fridged during the heatwave the remaining three guppies seemed fine in the tank and seemed quite happy although the tank was at and above 24 degrees C for many days!

If you wanted to breed the guppies you would need a seprerate tank but it probs wouldnt need to be tropical.

Tea Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks guys, I take it goldfish are no good then?

Old 13th August 2013   #9 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

No, goldfish are members of the carp family and are not suitable.

auntiejude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

White mountain cloud minnow, are good. But you will need to quarantine them for a good month first.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack