The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Water parameters

This is a discussion on Water parameters within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi, I have had my tank for nearly 8 months now and at the moment I can't seem to get ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Luna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water parameters

Hi, I have had my tank for nearly 8 months now and at the moment I can't seem to get my ammonia levels down. I have done 3 water changes in the past week and it is still higher than normal. Sitting around 0.5-1. My pH also seems to be low every time I change my tank. Is there any reason as to why my ammonia is high at the moment?

Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Water parameters

Are you sure your cycle is good? Have you tested for NO3? If you don't have NO3 your cycle has either failed to establish or has crashed.

What kind of filter do you have? Is it the right size/power for your tank? Have you checked it isn't clogged? Have you cleaned it? A clogged filter may mean the bacteria have died - meaning more NH4 and a crashed cycle. You could try adding some bacteria in the form of quick start fluid or pearls - find them at your LFS.

Have you taken your tank apart (taken out all the ornaments & substrate) and cheked for hidden gunge/uneaten food/ hidden poop etc?
Have you checked the parameters of your tap water?

Phew! lots of questions and ideas for you to consider...

auntiejude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: pookiewn has shown reliable knowledgepookiewn has shown reliable knowledge

Do you use a dechlorinator? Some have been known to give false positives on ammonia readings. If you test straight after you do a water change then this might be the case. Is your test kit still in date? Which one are you using?

pookiewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information

I know when i was trying to cycle my tank, my PH dropped and this caused my cycle to constantly crash, i added some crushed coral (bird grit) to my tank and it raised the PH and allowed my cycle to actually cycle :)

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack