The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Broken A/C - fridging best option?

This is a discussion on Broken A/C - fridging best option? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; It's a lovely 90 degrees here in Oklahoma today and my a/c decides to kick the bucket We're looking at ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: keiferlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broken A/C - fridging best option?

It's a lovely 90 degrees here in Oklahoma today and my a/c decides to kick the bucket We're looking at temps around 100 for the next few days and the repair guy is also a few days away. I'm not sure I can stay on top of the ice bottle business well enough to keep my Axies cool enough so I'm thinking fridging is the best option as there is no such thing as a cool room in my house right now! The tank normally stays between 66-68f degrees with the occasional ice bottle change. It didn't take long at all for it to shoot up to 72f without the a/c to help!

I've read the fridging guide posted here and have it printed out but want to go over everything to make sure I'm doing it right. If I need to adjust something, please let me know! I've put them both in a large, fairly shallow container with a lid. They have plenty of room to swim around and stretch out, gills are covered and there's room between the water and the lid to gulp some air if they wish. Wrapping the container in a towel is not needed because this is a small, dorm size fridge with no light and they will be the only activity. In the fridge with them is 2 one gallon pitchers of dechlorinated water that will be used to change their water daily as long as they need to be in there. Before I take them back to their tank, I'll need to transition the freshwater they are in and the tank water to get them used to it. Oh and the fridge temp is at 6c.

Am I missing anything or do I need to adjust anything? I hate not being able to look at them any time I want but I'd rather not see them than have them suffer in these temps.

keiferlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11
Default Re: Broken A/C - fridging best option?

This all sounds well organised and certainly better than the cooking they will get if you don't fridge them. They should be OK.

oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack