The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New pond

This is a discussion on New pond within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi Y'all, thought I'd check in, been couple of years now! Thought I'd share my new pond. Bought a new ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dexter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Dexter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New pond

Hi Y'all, thought I'd check in, been couple of years now!
Thought I'd share my new pond.
Bought a new house, and pulled some stumps out. decided to make a pond, about a metre deep x 1.5 x 5m.
Obviously it's an outdoor pond. Had my axolotls in a glass tank with refrigeration last year.
But decided to put them in the pond, see how they went. Planned to take the out come summer, as it's hot here.
So chucked them in there, but they didn't like it much. 1 of them got all skin infections and lost her gills and a leg or two.
Other one's got a big melanoma, so didn't think she had long anyway.
Eventually found a kiddie pool and dug that in next to the pond, shares the same water, but through a fountain. Now got some Koi in big pond.
I bought a bkack fella, turned out to be female...
Placed an upside down bucket under the pond ornament, with hole cut in side of it.
Now they been living in there a year, through winter and now the height of summer.
They stay under the bucket an come out at night.
We lose a bit of water due to spray and evaporation, so top it up regularly with cold water. Bore water which has a lot of calcium, or tap water. The pond has a waterfall and is pumped through a uv filter.
Just wanted to say how adaptable these axolotls are! They survive in a range of conditions, as I guess they would have in the wild. I'm looking for a male now. Sure I can establish a wild breeding colony with little human input. I feed them pellets, and have cherry shrimp living in there also guppies and tadpoles, from all the frogs in the garden.
Can't take fotos cos they only come out when its dark!
Attached Thumbnails
New pond-img_0470.jpg   New pond-img_0502.jpg  

Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack