The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New to the Caudata life!

This is a discussion on New to the Caudata life! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Originally Posted by Ashlimarie83 The only thing I was worried about is making sure they don't try to eat younger ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2014   #21 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information
Default Re: New to the Caudata life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlimarie83 View Post
The only thing I was worried about is making sure they don't try to eat younger axolotls. So if I got new ones later, I would have to get bigger and older axies. :/ I'm not sure if they would get stressed from being removed from their environment where they have lived so long, and then be in a tank with new strange buddies.
I've got an 18cm adult and bought 2 babies, they've just been kept in a big storage tub rather than a tank. You could also use a divider in your tank. Smaller axolotls I.e smaller than 5" can be hard work, let alone 4 and with an inexperienced lotl keeper. You just don't want to be over your head with them. Plus the love frenzy business could expand over a length of time rather than that big rush at the beginning. If you're glad you only got 2 ferrets instead of the 3 or 4 you originally wanted - what if that happens with your axolotls? You would have to give them up and that's pretty sad

HayleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Ripley is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nice to meet ya!
Well since you are from Va beach, you know how hot it can get in the summer. Do you ever have any problems keeping your tank cool in the summer months?
As long as I have the Air Conditioner on its not to much of a problem. There were one of two days where it got kinda warm so I just put in a couple water bottles that I keep frozen and all was well. I also keep a fan going on the top of the tank and keep the light off. Just make sure to put the tank in the coolest room. My front room has a huge window but stays the coldest throughout the year.

Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014   #23 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information

Welcome to the axolotl world!
And I'm actually leaving the axolotl world (for a while, probably) :)

Old 7th February 2014   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Ashlimarie83 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleykahnita View Post
I've got an 18cm adult and bought 2 babies, they've just been kept in a big storage tub rather than a tank. You could also use a divider in your tank. Smaller axolotls I.e smaller than 5" can be hard work, let alone 4 and with an inexperienced lotl keeper. You just don't want to be over your head with them. Plus the love frenzy business could expand over a length of time rather than that big rush at the beginning. If you're glad you only got 2 ferrets instead of the 3 or 4 you originally wanted - what if that happens with your axolotls? You would have to give them up and that's pretty sad

I understand that they would be hard work with the frequent feedings and all, but I'm pretty sure I can keep up with younger axolotls. Not to say I have dealt with this type of animal before, but I do have experience with a wide variety of other baby animals throughout my life that I have provided excellent care for. And the reason I was glad I only got 2 ferrets is because when I allow them to roam the house, the are fast little buggers and if it wasn't for their collars I doubt I could find them in their sneaky little hiding places, not because I feared I wouldn't be able to take care of them. I

I have done a lot of research before even deciding to bring one of these beautiful little creatures into my life because I know that although many people say they are just simple pets, they do need specific maintenance to lead a long life. That's also why I've joined this website, so I could meet other people who have already had axolotls and learn from their experience as well as the books.

Anyways, I've pretty much decided to start with two, not sure where I am going to get them but I'm leaning towards a breeder I have been talking with on the board. And even before I agree to purchase them, I am already asking her questions about their growth rate, what she is feeding them now, ect.

Old 7th February 2014   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
As long as I have the Air Conditioner on its not to much of a problem. There were one of two days where it got kinda warm so I just put in a couple water bottles that I keep frozen and all was well. I also keep a fan going on the top of the tank and keep the light off. Just make sure to put the tank in the coolest room. My front room has a huge window but stays the coldest throughout the year.
Okay!
I can probably buy one of those little clip on fans I suppose then. I actually hadn't bought a light for the tank yet. I wasn't sure if it would make the water to warm, and I hadn't decided whether or not I was going to get live plants.

Old 7th February 2014   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
Welcome to the axolotl world!
And I'm actually leaving the axolotl world (for a while, probably) :)
Aw!
Do you mean just this site or you are leaving you axies?

Old 8th February 2014   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:

Okay! Just an update!

I believe this is how I was thinking of setting up my tank. Tell me if this seems like a good idea, or if there's anything else I might need!

-40 Gallon Tank w/ Mesh lid (holes drilled in corner for tubes of canister filter to thread through
-Eheim classic 250 Cannister filter with spray bar directed to the side of tank to interrupt water flow
-Thermometer
-Current Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light (You can adjust intensity and colors. )
-Sandtastik Black Play Sand
-A little Duck weed and Java ferns, a few plastic reddish green plants for color
-A castle ruin hide, bridge, and some large rock hides

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 8th February 2014   #28 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Kaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and information

Quote:
Okay! Just an update!

I believe this is how I was thinking of setting up my tank. Tell me if this seems like a good idea, or if there's anything else I might need!

-40 Gallon Tank w/ Mesh lid (holes drilled in corner for tubes of canister filter to thread through
-Eheim classic 250 Cannister filter with spray bar directed to the side of tank to interrupt water flow
-Thermometer
-Current Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light (You can adjust intensity and colors. )
-Sandtastik Black Play Sand
-A little Duck weed and Java ferns, a few plastic reddish green plants for color
-A castle ruin hide, bridge, and some large rock hides

Thanks for the feedback!
Sounds good! I would just skip the colorful light unless it's necessary for the plants - lotls really don't like light at all.

Old 8th February 2014   #29 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Aw!
Do you mean just this site or you are leaving you axies?
I decided to sell my axies. I don't have enough space to give them what they need. My health sucks at the moment, so all the water changes and stuff is a bit too hard for me at the moment. I can use some extra space for my artistic activities. I want to be able to go on vacation, because now I don't know anyone in my area who knows how to take care of axies and I can't bring them to a friend or so like a hamster. And I haven't been on vacation for about 9,5 years, so it's about time Oh and somehow they dont want to breed and I love raising little lotls. But I actually don't have enough space for my Axolotl Factory after all :')

I'd still visit this website because I'm probably going to miss these little guys. When I find a bigger home, and when my health is back to normal, I'd definitely buy a huge tank with axies again :) But right now it's not the right moment.

Old 8th February 2014   #30 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sanshouo has started on the right path

I agree with the poster who suggested starting with just 1. While you have done all your homework and it appears that you'll have a nice setup, you really never know what will happen when those guys get thrown in the water. A lot of new owners (including myself) find themselves with a sick axie before long due to inexperience, so I think it's smart to start with one to get a hang of things and to save yourself from (god forbid) the heartbreak of 4 dead juvies.

Sanshouo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaini View Post
Sounds good! I would just skip the colorful light unless it's necessary for the plants - lotls really don't like light at all.
I'm not entirely sure if these type if plants need a lot of light actually, but I do know axolotls are more fond of darker environments.
I was planning on keeping it pretty low if not off for the majority of the time unless I wanted to watch them and it was late...

I had heard some horror stories of Axies turning super canniballistic from too much light, and of course the stress.
Do you not think I should have a light at all?

Old 11th February 2014   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledgeSkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledge

A bit unrelated, but I just wanted to comment on how I love your picture :P My friend made me a template on another forum site with an absol done by the same artist in the same style. Good to know that there are nerds everywhere I go XD

SkollSunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014   #33 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Kaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and information

On the light - its not necessary. But if you have plenty of good hides where the lotl can go to be in the dark a dim light for a few hours a day isn't going to do any harm.

Personally I don't have a light on the tank itself, I just have a fluorescent light above the desk where I keep all three of my tanks. That way I can see my animals but it doesn't bother my lotl. I don't have live plants other than moss balls though.

Old 11th February 2014   #34 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkollSunChaser View Post
A bit unrelated, but I just wanted to comment on how I love your picture :P My friend made me a template on another forum site with an absol done by the same artist in the same style. Good to know that there are nerds everywhere I go XD

Aw thanks! The artist makes really cute things. And I love quagsire (Caught a shiny in my recent game!) but woopers are closer to axies.

Old 11th February 2014   #35 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaini View Post
On the light - its not necessary. But if you have plenty of good hides where the lotl can go to be in the dark a dim light for a few hours a day isn't going to do any harm.

Personally I don't have a light on the tank itself, I just have a fluorescent light above the desk where I keep all three of my tanks. That way I can see my animals but it doesn't bother my lotl. I don't have live plants other than moss balls though.
Ah, the desk where I was planning on keeping them doesn't really have much space for a desk lamp, and it's pretty far from any source of light in our bedroom (we just have a small lamp since we spend most of our time in the living room) so I just wanted to be able to see and check on them when it got dark is all..

Old 11th February 2014   #36 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information

You seem to have everything you need! Good job!
If I may make one suggestion is to hold off on putting the sand in while they are younger. If you get plants you can keep them in cool little pots in the tank but I had black sand originally with my other 10 gallon tank and was thinking about transferring it to the new axolotl tank. I kept my bichir on black sand and it was a lot of maintenance after a while because he kept kicking it up and getting all of his droppings hidden in it. I found it much easier to keep the tank cleaner without sand because once they go its right there. I keep a little forest of java moss and they love playing in it.

Boomsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014   #37 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomsloth View Post
You seem to have everything you need! Good job!
If I may make one suggestion is to hold off on putting the sand in while they are younger. If you get plants you can keep them in cool little pots in the tank but I had black sand originally with my other 10 gallon tank and was thinking about transferring it to the new axolotl tank. I kept my bichir on black sand and it was a lot of maintenance after a while because he kept kicking it up and getting all of his droppings hidden in it. I found it much easier to keep the tank cleaner without sand because once they go its right there. I keep a little forest of java moss and they love playing in it.
Understandable. Do axolotls droppings look like little fish poops? Would I be okay with a turkey baster?

Old 12th February 2014   #38 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information

They aren't so little. Mine poops sacks that are about 2-3cm long. The turkey baster will be your new best friend when it comes to poop-scooping!

HayleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014   #39 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleykahnita View Post
They aren't so little. Mine poops sacks that are about 2-3cm long. The turkey baster will be your new best friend when it comes to poop-scooping!
Oh my

Well I'll go get a designated one then. Thanks!
Hopefully, I will start cycling my tank when I get off work tonight, and start getting it set up with the plants and hides and all, and it should be read for my babies who comming by the end of March!

Old 13th February 2014   #40 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledgeSkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Aw thanks! The artist makes really cute things. And I love quagsire (Caught a shiny in my recent game!) but woopers are closer to axies.
Purple quagsire? Yes, please :P My first shiny was my mudkip in 3rd gen, hatched it from an egg and started freaking because I thought my game was glitched! Just moved it in all its purple swampert-ness up to my X version :3

I kinda though mudkip was closest to an axie, because it never quite looses the gills and tail.

SkollSunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice wanted, axololt, breeding, food, maintenance, new owner, start, tank

LinkBack