The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Gender and age estimation?

This is a discussion on Gender and age estimation? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi there, bought my axie in June/July 2013 where I was told she was born January ish. I'm unsure if ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Danimorse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Danimorse is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Gender and age estimation?

Hi there, bought my axie in June/July 2013 where I was told she was born January ish. I'm unsure if this is true as she seems small for over a year old. I'm also assuming she is female but I would appreciate second opinions! It would also help to get an opinion on whether she looks healthy! Can never be too careful with my beautiful baby thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Gender and age estimation?-image.jpg  

Danimorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Gender and age estimation?

Will only let me upload photos individually..
Attached Thumbnails

Old 22nd March 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

More:
Attached Thumbnails

Old 22nd March 2014   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

She looks good. How big is she?

If she's over a year old you should be able to make out whether she's a girl or not - can you get a pic from the side? Looks female from above, but from the side would confirm it.

Old 22nd March 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hope this is a better photo
Attached Thumbnails

Old 22nd March 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Last one. Also I believe she is around 7 or 8 inches
Attached Thumbnails

Old 22nd March 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Geckogal is an unknown quantity at this point

If she is around a year old, I would say female from the pictures.
A male's "bulge" would be more obvious by then.

Geckogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Elliriyanna has started on the right path

My adult female is only 9 inches if it helps :)

Certainly looks female to me, no bulge.

Old 22nd March 2014   #9 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yep - girl.

Old 20th April 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sweetie has shown reliable knowledge
Question Re: Gender and age estimation?

At what age does the male's swelling start to appear? Is seven months too young? I really am convinced from the view of my albino axie (Boris) as he swims to the surface with his tummy facing the front of his tank that Boris has a very distinct swelling beginning under and just behind/between his rear legs. He also seems to have the body shape of a male (as far as I can ascertain, based on looking at dozens of albino axie pics on this site). He is only about five inches long - perhaps half an inch longer (haven't measured him exactly yet) - but could that be because he is not a large lotl or was not eating much in the weeks before we got him and/or is in fact older than the seven months he should now be, according to the aquarium shop owner where we bought him?

Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014   #11 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Males have a BIG bulge - we're not talking a little swelling , it's more like MUCHOS COJONES!
7 months is a bit young to be certain, and body shape is by no means a definite indicator. 5" is small, but reasonable for 7 months, 8" or 9 months is considered the earliest you can sex an axie.

Old 22nd April 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok. Looks like I'll just have to be patient then, but I really am convinced Boris's cahunas are just starting to show - it is a definite bulge, it's in the right place and it seems to be gradually getting bigger. And yes, if I am right, they will indeed be big.
If he is actually a month or two older than seven months, then he must be TINY at five inches or so - would that account for his seemingly endless appetite? Today, he has eaten three earthworms (thanks for that advice!) plus one bloodworm cube (it was raining so heavily when I went to give him lunch, the freezer was as far as I got - I gathered a few extra worms this afternoon, in storage for tomorrow). Only one of the earthworms was a little Boris-sized one - the other two were pretty big (long, anyway), but he handled them like a pro - quickly, decisively and viciously. HE LOVED THEM.
Also got the dechlorinating solution today - the anchorworm thing has terrified me. Still have to find an appropriate test kit that covers ammonia - any tips there?
Again, I so appreciate your time in giving me so much helpful advice. I am so keen to learn whatever I need to so that Boris has a happy life. (Or Natasha, perhaps. But he looks like a Boris...)

Old 22nd April 2014   #13 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Until fully grown axie usually eat every day. I'd say 3 worms plus bloodworms was a bit excessive, but if you watch his width and adjust accordingly you should be OK.

A master test kit is what you need, any brand but API is popular. It has several bottles of reagent, some test tubes and colour cards. Read the instructions carefully.

Old 23rd April 2014   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
I'd say 3 worms plus bloodworms was a bit excessive, but if you watch his width and adjust accordingly you should be OK.
I have stopped the frozen bloodworm cubes and he is now getting 3 worms a day. I am gradually reducing his food, in the expectation that his tummy will soon be the same width as his head, at which point I don't want to suddenly drop his food intake overnight! I plan to look for smaller worms (cannot bring myself to cut them in half!) and/or reduce him to 2 worms a day over the next few days. He may just be bored, I think ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
A master test kit is what you need, any brand but API is popular.
Thank you for that - the API Freshwater Master Test Kit it is - asap. Boris is already in the dechlorinated tap water, as per your advice.

Old 24th April 2014   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Walkebra000 is an unknown quantity at this point

looks female to me aswell

Walkebra000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
I have stopped the frozen bloodworm cubes and he is now getting 3 worms a day. I am gradually reducing his food, in the expectation that his tummy will soon be the same width as his head, at which point I don't want to suddenly drop his food intake overnight! I plan to look for smaller worms (cannot bring myself to cut them in half!) and/or reduce him to 2 worms a day over the next few days. He may just be bored, I think ...
Why reduce the food ? If thats the amount of food it wants just keep dropping the worms on him, obesity is not a problem for axolotls. Young axolotls have a very high growth rate, they go from 5mm to 15-23 cm in the first year of life so will often eat a suprising amount , food consumption will fall off when they hit adulthood though females will start to eat more before and after egg laying.

Old 25th April 2014   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
My axolotls went from eating half a cube of bloodworms each to eating a good amount of earthworms each. The largest is about 7" now and is rounding up but I wouldn't consider her overweight. They eat as much as they can and as long as its a balanced diet, you shouldn't see any weight issues. Fat axolotls are usually caused by either being fed the wrong diet or some form of organ failure/illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
Why reduce the food ? If thats the amount of food it wants just keep dropping the worms on him, obesity is not a problem for axolotls. Young axolotls have a very high growth rate, they go from 5mm to 15-23 cm in the first year of life so will often eat a suprising amount , food consumption will fall off when they hit adulthood though females will start to eat more before and after egg laying.
Agreed. January they were 2-3" grew at a steady pace until about two weeks ago when they started to grow about an inch at least more.

Boomsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
Why reduce the food ? If thats the amount of food it wants just keep dropping the worms on him, obesity is not a problem for axolotls.
I have no idea how many worms Boris would eat if I just kept giving them to him but I would be interested to find out. So would Boris, no doubt.

Tags
advice, age, albino, axoltl, female, gender, male, sex

LinkBack