The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Purple Axolotl?

This is a discussion on Purple Axolotl? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I was recently told from axolotl owners that there is a newer color morph of axolotl that is a purple, ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ClockworkParrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Purple Axolotl?

I was recently told from axolotl owners that there is a newer color morph of axolotl that is a purple, but when I try to research I am not seeing anything on it. Does anyone have any information or know where I can see a photo of one if it is true?

ClockworkParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JamieOleBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure theres a lavender color that melanoid comes in

JamieOleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Purple Axolotl?

Google jay sommers , he was the initial breeder of lavender axolotls, he is not in this group and he has been expunged from the history of this site, which Is a shame as he was very knowledgeable and entertaining.

Old 11th April 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Kaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and information

It could also be dyed. Some people claiming to have 'new exciting morhs' are actually dyeing their animals. I've seen lotls dyed in purple... unfortunately.

Old 11th April 2014   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
Google voldemort , he was the initial breeder of lavender axolotls, he is not in this group and he has been expunged from the history of this site, which Is a shame as he was very knowledgeable and entertaining.
No he wasn't the original breeder of lavenders. He is prolific at giving color and line names to his axolotls.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Thanks for the clarification mike. Did you have them first ?

Old 11th April 2014   #7 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information

Voldemort?

jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Lol at voldermort, nearly missed that !

Old 11th April 2014   #9 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Lots of people have bred purple of lavender axolotls.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lianne has shown reliable knowledge

Does anyone have a picture of these lavender axolotls? I'm curious :)

Lianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information

For some weird reason, I can't link through to Jay Sommers' website, but if you Google him, he has a website all about axolotls with some purple axolotls on it.

Also, Silly Axolotls has some cool variants:

Silly Axolotls - Colour Variants Post - Colour Variants Post

Old 12th April 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks so much for the info! I looked up Jay Sommers and I am not sure if I was on the right site. Is it ***************?

That website with the colors was great, I loved the enigma but the link is broken on the purple lavender so I couldnt see an image. Does anyone have any links to images of just purples?

Old 12th April 2014   #13 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I have only ever seen one picture of a 'lavender' - and I was disappointed. It just looked like a pinkish-grey axie, maybe a little different and darker than a leucistic colour but not much. I can't find it now.

I think giving fancy names to a colour that is slightly different to the next is just a marketing ploy - my wildtype male resembles the 'enigma' (he's black with plenty of gold iridophores) but obviously that's SO RARE he couldn't possibly be anything other than a plain old dark wildtype with pretty sparkly markings.

My pet hate is people advertising axies with false colour names - there is a guy on ebay selling eggs from his 'harlequin', and when I asked for pictures it turned out to be a dirty leucistic. And another elsewhere is selling 'rare' gold axie eggs.

I think I'll make up a name for my pale wildtypes and see if I can sell them at a premium - pale with pretty dark spots, I'll call them Chocolate Chips.

Axies are all different, the same as people, and every now and then an odd colour mutation will turn up. I think we ought to admire tham for what they are - unusual or pretty but unique individuals - and stop fussing over pigeon-holing them into colour names.

Old 13th April 2014   #14 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and information

This is one which I bred but it's pretty far off actually being purple.

Regards Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Purple Axolotl?-purp1.jpg   Purple Axolotl?-purp3.jpg  

Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bugdozer has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post

My pet hate is people advertising axies with false colour names - there is a guy on ebay selling eggs from his 'harlequin', and when I asked for pictures it turned out to be a dirty leucistic. And another elsewhere is selling 'rare' gold axie eggs.

I think I'll make up a name for my pale wildtypes and see if I can sell them at a premium - pale with pretty dark spots, I'll call them Chocolate Chips.
I agree here. It's the same thing that's happening with dogs a lot these days - you can't possibly admit your dog is a mongrel, it has to be a labradoodle, or a cavachon, or a fartipoo or something. They aren't recognised breeds and there's no Kennel Club standard for what they're meant to look like. If the world of axolotl fancy went like that, it'd be a shame.

bugdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information

Haha! Fartipoo! I love it!

I think the problem I have with people that name their axolotl colours with new and fancy names is that most people won't know what on Earth that actually means - because only the breeder will know. And that leads to confusion over what the animal is. I've seen Wildtype axolotls advertised as melanoids, Leucys advertised as albinos...and those are fairly easy mistakes to make if you're new to the hobby. Calling a black and gold axxie a 'bumblebee' axolotl, for example, is going to lead to problems, especially if a customer believes they have something unique and later find that the animal they have purchased has been given a false name to make it sound rarer. I won't lie and say that I don't find certain morphs gorgeous, because I do, but I care more that the axolotl has been bred by someone who really cares about their babies and not just about the dollars.

I think calling an axolotl 'purple' is okay, though, as it's not really a misnomer - they are purplish, and you haven't tried to label them as 'Amethyst Mist' axolotls or similar, which would make them sound like some sort of established breeding variety (or potentially a species of violet, one or the other). It's like on Ebay, where some sellers will claim, no matter what the item, that it is **RARE!*** - even when it is, in actuality, not all that hard to get hold of. I once saw someone call their WTs with gold spots "Gold Rush" axolotls. Toothless also has these spots. But he is a Wildtype, pure and simple, because no matter how pretty the spots, he is a WT first. I didn't want to call him something that would just confuse people and make them think he was something he wasn't.

I remember having fancy mice and the sheer number of colours, fur textures, etc was mad. We also have two dogs; one is a labrador (she has a daft KC name and everything >.<) and the other is a breed that's not even recognised as a breed, except by the Rare Breed Club. She's a Patterdale Terrier and there are loads on our street alone. So she's definetely not rare. More to the point, most 'purebreeds' were mongrels once upon a time, so the whole idea of 'purebred' animals is fundamentally flawed - the labrador, for example, was created from a mixture of breeds, including one now-extinct breed (the Water Spaniel). Trying to make everything 'elite' when it's a simple matter of breeding, which, let's face it, is not the be-all and end-all, whether mongrel or purebred, just seems daft to me. As long as the animal is loved, and healthy, that's great.

Old 13th April 2014   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you all very much for the information!

I'm so new to the hobby that I wanted to make sure that the three axolotls that I get are what I am looking for color wise. I was afraid of spending more on lets say a juvenile purple only to end up with a wildtype.
I am a glass and metal jewelry artist by trade and I wanted to put them right on my design desk in my room where I spend most of my time. I don't know if seems odd or not but having three in the different colors I am wanting to get are pretty important in my decision since colors are very important to me with my work and I think the lil buggers will add some much needed inspiration to my sit space.

Old 14th April 2014   #18 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkParrot View Post
. I was afraid of spending more on lets say a juvenile purple only to end up with a wildtype.
Axies can change colour throughout their lives in subtle ways, so you can never guaratee that what you buy now will be exactly the same in a years' time. And larvae change colour a huge amount in their first 2-3 months.

Leucistics are well known for changing their markings - freckles appearing and disappearing at intervals. White albinos often turn yellowish, wildtypes generally get darker too. If you buy a 'purple' axie it may well turn grey or brown as time goes on.

We've even seen wildtypes develop what looks like vitiligo and end up looking like leucistics: here's an example

By all means get 3 different types, but choose animlas for their health rather than rarity of colour.

Old 14th April 2014   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:

Oh health is obviously way more important to me than color. I just meant that I am more willing to wait longer for some in the colors I am wanting since I have seen some beautiful adult axolotls. I have just been doing as much research as I can to make sure someone isn't telling me something is one color only to end up getting a baby that is a wildtype or melanoid with a fancy color name.

Old 16th April 2014   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: kjnorman is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep ball pythons as well, and people do the same thing naming them. There are about a thousand named colour morphs of ball pythons, and only about two dozen visually different morphs, and even then I'm not sure how true they all breed.

I say find a lotl that looks cute to you and go with it :)

kjnorman is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack