The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How can I keep my tank cool? Please help

This is a discussion on How can I keep my tank cool? Please help within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everyone, I need help on ideas to keep my axies tank at a cooler temp. I seen that adding ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By snuggly time
  • 2 Post By Bette
  • 1 Post By scorpio110684

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Gvega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can I keep my tank cool? Please help

Hi everyone, I need help on ideas to keep my axies tank at a cooler temp. I seen that adding ice water bottles are not good since they change the temp to fast and can harm them. What do some of you guys do to lower the temps? Thank you!

Gvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: How can I keep my tank cool? Please help

Hi, I have a fan over the top of the tank. It cools it by 2 - 3c. On the really bad days here I wrap the tank in wet towels and add ice bottles.
You could always invest in an aquarium chiller if it's very hot where you are and you're struggling to keep a constant cool temperature.

Here's a good guide, worth a read. Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

snuggly time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggly time View Post
Hi, I have a fan over the top of the tank. It cools it by 2 - 3c. On the really bad days here I wrap the tank in wet towels and add ice bottles.
You could always invest in an aquarium chiller if it's very hot where you are and you're struggling to keep a constant cool temperature.

Here's a good guide, worth a read. Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling
Yes... fans and ice bottles work great. Haven't had to try a chiller, but that would make the biggest difference.
I found that also switching to a metal mesh tank lid helped enormously! This of course would work great with the added fans on top.

Old 25th May 2014   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information

Chillers are the most reliable and effective way of keeping tanks cool. I don't have a chiller though as I cannot yet afford it but I am planning to have enough saved to purchase one if needed for the next Summer.

Currently though I have a nylon mesh lid. I did have a metal one but I replaced it as soon as I noticed a small amount of rust forming. I didn't want the rust getting into the water. Along with the mesh lid, I have two clip on fans I bought online. They are amazing. The description when I purchased claimed they could decrease the temperature by up to 7C (depending on quantity of water). I have one set on each side of the tank and so far I have not had to worry about the temperature getting too high. Mind you it is currently autumn here and the weather is starting to cool down so next Summer will be the true test on how well they work.

You could also try insulating the tank. I have a foil type car windscreen cover protector wrapped around the outside of the back of the tank. If was super hot I could insulate it more by wrapping another one around the front but whilst the temperature is ok I don't so I can see my lotls. But you could use other materials to help insulate the tank as well.

Old 25th May 2014   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Jonjey has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

I leave my tanks without lids, my bigger tank gets a fan. I'll post some links of the stuff I used and explain what I did, it works really really really really well and is tiny and silent. My 15 gallon just stays uncovered and stays around 68 degrees with my one little axolotl in there. I toss an ice bottle in about once a day so it gets down to 66 and goes back up to 68 throughout the day. My 50 gallon stays around 62-64 with being uncovered, having lots of surface disruption for evaporation and the small fan. Here are some links;
Amazon.com: ARCTIC Breeze Mobile USB-Powered 92mm Portable Fan, Portable Cooling Solution, Quiet Fan - White: Electronics
Amazon.com: DLink 36in USB 2.0 extension dock stand cradle cable USB A to A male to female: Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com: HTC U250 CNR6300 USB AC Travel Charger Adapter Power Plug: Cell Phones & Accessories

I just the USB stand mounted to the side of the top rim of my tank using simple cheap mounting tape (the thick double sided tape, almost like a foam tape. Not sure what material it is but it is really good.) and have the chord going to the AC/USB adapter into my surge protector, the fan is of course plugged into the usb stand at the top and pointed down to the water. It's silent, effective, cheap, and takes up hardly any space. It also looks good. The only downside is there is no guard around it so sometimes it'll knick your arm or finger whatever happens to come close to it, the fan blades are hard plastic so it's not the most pleasant thing but it isn't so bad lol.

Jonjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: scorpio110684 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a chiller hooked up to the tank and it works like a charm.

scorpio110684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RupertxGiles has shown reliable knowledge

I keep my tanks in my bedroom all summer with the ac on . Easy :)

RupertxGiles is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack