The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sitting on Plants

This is a discussion on Sitting on Plants within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey guys! So, for seemingly since my Lotls arrived to their new home (they have been with me for about ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cacique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AshaLeelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Sitting on Plants

Hey guys!

So, for seemingly since my Lotls arrived to their new home (they have been with me for about three weeks) they have taken to floating to the top of the tank (not like they are constipated, nose up) and slowly sinking until they land on one of the smaller fake plants or in the branches of a larger one. They will sit there for quite a while. I was wondering if this is a sign of stress or just normal behavior. They are about six inches long, but not sure how old.

Any help would be great, thanks.

AshaLeelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: usafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledgeusafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Sitting on Plants

Mine do it all the time. Normal behaviour.

usafaux2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: keiko has given good advice and informationkeiko has given good advice and informationkeiko has given good advice and information

It's perfectly normal. My wild type always sits on some plant. If they can't seem to get down then it's a problem.

keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yep - sounds normal to me. Mine sit on anything - ornaments, plants, the filter, my hand....

Old 30th August 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Cacique has started on the right path

Just like everyone's axolotl, mine does it too. Sometimes he'll cram himself in the middle of his large anubias and do a hand stand. Hard to see when they blend in. I think they like to hang out in all sort of weird ways, as mine wedges himself between the back of the tank and the filter intake tube and holds himself up on there.

Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating, sitting in plants, stressed axolotl

LinkBack