The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Young Axolotl Refusing Food

This is a discussion on Young Axolotl Refusing Food within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi there, I am fairly new to the area of Lotl pets. I have three Lotls, who i have had ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By xxianxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axolotlseamus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young Axolotl Refusing Food

Hi there,
I am fairly new to the area of Lotl pets.
I have three Lotls, who i have had for a good few months now, they are young, but not that young. Two are about 6 inches long, and the other is about 5 inches.
When i first got them, i was feeding them frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp/etc - which worked fine (but was terribly messy, and hard to know who was eating what).
I finally found somewhere that sold earthworms - excellent! Everybody was merrily eating them, i could hand feed them, less mess, i knew who was getting what etc etc

I now have a situation where one of my Lotls is not eating. It would have to be about a week or so now.
It is strange, because he was the best eater out of the lot of them.
When i do offer him a worm, he seems to open up his jaw a little bit, and suck the water a little bit, but eventually gets bored and walks off.
My partner seemed to think that he ate bloodworms while i was away a few days ago, but i have not witnessed this at all.

What do i do from here?
Is there something terribly appetizing that i can offer him?
Any suggestions are welcome!

axolotlseamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: seagull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young Axolotl Refusing Food

sometimes they temporarily lose their appetites
if its a maturing female, she may be ovulating (burrito stops eating and fouls the water quicker when she ovulates) and may be going through a 2 or 3 week loss of appetite
if its a mature female she might be pregnant-though i find burrito eats then pukes if this is the case
its also possible that the others are bullying it or stressing it out
make sure they all have enough space and hideouts and do a 50% water change
make sure no bright lights are on them either
it should regain appetite within the next week or so

seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: axolotlseamus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply!
At what age/size do they normally mature? I do not know at what age I would be expecting to first encounter that sort of behavior?
Bullying is possible, but they are all pretty well fed, with lots of hidey holes, they never seem to be particularly bothered with each other :)
They do not have bright lights at all.
I will do a water change and keep an eye on it.

Update: I have seen him eat a little bit of bloodworms tonight, so thats a start :)

axolotlseamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: seagull is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotlseamus View Post
Thank you for your reply!
At what age/size do they normally mature? I do not know at what age I would be expecting to first encounter that sort of behavior?
Bullying is possible, but they are all pretty well fed, with lots of hidey holes, they never seem to be particularly bothered with each other :)
They do not have bright lights at all.
I will do a water change and keep an eye on it.

Update: I have seen him eat a little bit of bloodworms tonight, so thats a start :)
they r tricky because it varies
the body starts maturing around 6 inches or 18 months of age but this can vary greatly depending on environmental factors

seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
sometimes they temporarily lose their appetites
if its a maturing female, she may be ovulating (burrito stops eating and fouls the water quicker when she ovulates) and may be going through a 2 or 3 week loss of appetite
if its a mature female she might be pregnant-though i find burrito eats then pukes if this is the case
its also possible that the others are bullying it or stressing it out
make sure they all have enough space and hideouts and do a 50% water change
make sure no bright lights are on them either
it should regain appetite within the next week or so
Utter gibberish

Old 17th February 2015   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

As axolotls get bigger they start to eat less often, my adults get fed once a week at low temps, two/ three times a week when its warmer. Yours however are still at a size that should be eating daily or every other day, a few days missed feeding is not a problem but you may want to check your water peramiters to make sure there is no environmental cause.

Tags
axolotl, eating

LinkBack