The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Floating, Possible Diet Change?

This is a discussion on Floating, Possible Diet Change? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey there! I've got a very young Leucistic Axi at home. She's only an inch long or so and from ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LiliTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Floating, Possible Diet Change?

Hey there!
I've got a very young Leucistic Axi at home. She's only an inch long or so and from what I was told on here, that would make her about a month or so old. For the past couple of days it seems like she is having a hard time staying at the bottom of her tank. Her bottom will start to float up to the top randomly and it seems like she is spending a lot of energy going up and down but never settling at the bottom like she was when we first got her over a week ago.
Her water parameters are Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, Ammonia 0, PH is sitting between 8.0 - 8.2 (that needs to come down, doesn't it?) and I have a floating log that sits under her filter to help disperse the flow. I have been switching her filter off for extended periods just to give her some relief from the current. It isn't too bad but she is just so small I was worried her floating had to do with the current but even off, she is still having issues.
Her diet right now has mainly been frozen bloodworms and last night I gave her one small piece of a freeze-dried gammarus shrimp just to see if she liked it for future treats. Should I start getting nightcrawlers and chopping them up for her? I've read that that is the most nutritious food for her and that sometimes freeze-dried or frozen can contribute to gas which can make them float. She is eating well and has a bare bottom tank right now so no gravel scare or issues with sand. Maybe I'm just paranoid and she is totally fine. Any advice?

LiliTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Lightbulb Re: Floating, Possible Diet Change?

Also I wanted to state that her tank has been a little warm as well, I'm going to do a water change today and cool the water with her in a separate container to around 16-18 c. Right now it is sitting at 20 c. Just in case that has any significance!

Old 28th February 2015   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: keiko has given good advice and informationkeiko has given good advice and informationkeiko has given good advice and information
Default Re: Floating, Possible Diet Change?

Don't turn the filter off. It will destroy the good bacteria in the filter if it's off for long.

Young axies can sometimes be more prone to floating. If the axie is eating and acting fine then I wouldn't worry too much yet. You could get some floating plants to provide safety and something for the axie to hold on to.

keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015   #4 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

Feeding earthworm or nightcrawler would be good, chopping them as needed. Frozen and Freeze-dried food especially are nutritionally incomplete and shouldn't be used as a staple diet, but for treats if anything.

Old 28th February 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

That makes a lot of sense about the filter. I'll be sure to leave it on for her. Thank you so much for the reply! I thought I might just be an overly concerned Axi Mom.

Old 28th February 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

And Earthworms it is! I figured that a switch would be good no matter what. Thank you both!

Tags
axolotl, baby, diet, floating, food advice

LinkBack