The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sick axolotl seems to be worsening,

This is a discussion on Sick axolotl seems to be worsening, within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So I was a little impatient and rushed a few things over the last few weeks. First, I upgraded my ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rseanb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sick axolotl seems to be worsening,

So I was a little impatient and rushed a few things over the last few weeks.

First, I upgraded my 10 gal to a 20 gal using the same filter, plants and sand. I threw in a guppy for my axie to eat. About a week and a half later I added another axie but decided to give him away a few days later. My axie appeared to have a white fluffy fungus on her gills about 2 days later, so I have had her in the fridge for over a week now, changing the water everyday. My tank's Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrate levels are now through the roof, the guppy ended up dying due to this. Additionally, the fungus on my fridged axie appears to be getting worse. Her tail is not curved but the fungus looks like it's spread from 2 gills to all of them, one appears to be deteriorating.

How should I nurse by axie back to health? Is my tank recycling?

Thanks!

rseanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Sick axolotl seems to be worsening,

Yes your tank is in the process of cycling. Could you post some photos? Here are a couple of threads on fungus that may help

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...18-fungus.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...-tutorial.html

Old 15th August 2015   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Sick axolotl seems to be worsening,

Why do you have your axie in the fridge? By doing that you have lowered his immune system to the point where he can't fight off the fungus.

Take him out, let him warm up and start salt baths.

Get your tank cycled properly before you put your axie back in.

Tags
cycling, fridging, help and advice needed, sick axolotl gill fungus

LinkBack