The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fridged axolotls shedding gills

This is a discussion on Fridged axolotls shedding gills within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi, I don't post here often but I'm really concerned about our axolotls. We recently moved, and due to a ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By auntiejude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: aquaria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fridged axolotls shedding gills

Hi,

I don't post here often but I'm really concerned about our axolotls. We recently moved, and due to a cycle crash and that chaos, our axolotls have been fridged for the last five days. Though they get daily water changes with water of the same temperature (42) and two of the three eat regularly, all three are loosing their gills at an alarming rate. The two males are down to maybe a third of their original length; the female has a quarter, optimistically.

These were healthy animals before we moved, even thriving. Could the new water be causing this? We now live in a historic building, would old pipes let loose more metals? Our liquid test kit reads normally--no elevated nitrates or nitrites, minimal ammonia immediately before water changes. Do we need to find an RO water source? And how do we help our short-gilled lotls recover?

Last edited by aquaria; 1st October 2015 at 04:30.
aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: aquaria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fridged axolotls shedding gills

I should have included in the original:

There are three axolotls: two males, one female. Of them, one male and one female are immature, about 7". The third is full grown and around 10". All three are very thin: the the two immature lotls were a little thin to start with--though they were fed earthworms 2-3 times a week (before the move) they've been growing quickly and have been slim. The adult was healthy size before the move, and ate a full worm 2-3 times a week. Two are pale (the third is melanistic and it's hard to tell), but none show any kind of blood infection redness or other unusual coloration.

Since we finally got the tanks set up and the water (just barely) cool enough, we've decided to acclimate them back into the big tank tonight. Hopefully it was just an ammonia issue that even daily changes couldn't keep up with. I would love to hear any advice.

aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Fridged axolotls shedding gills

Why do you have your axies in the fridge? Fridging them slows everything down, including their metabolism, immune system and appetite.

You need to take them out and let them warm up, chances are they are losing their gills and refusing to eat due to cold. They should recover at a warmer temp.

Please don't fridge your axie unless they are severely constipated or at death's door - it really isn't good for them. You can keep them in tubs at room temp if you have problem with your tank.

Tags
axolotl, damaged gills, gill fronds, gills, lotl, short gills

LinkBack