The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Please help! Lingering red fungus.

This is a discussion on Please help! Lingering red fungus. within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My GFP axie is almost a year old, and she's had these red patches on her legs for almost four ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: t0risaur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help! Lingering red fungus.

My GFP axie is almost a year old, and she's had these red patches on her legs for almost four months. I thought it was the red leg fungus, and it was deteriorating her little feet, but I was using furan-2 to keep it under control. It would almost go away and then come right back. I've been treating her with the furan 2 religiously, but still nothing. Is there anything I can do? Her tail is nice and straight and her gills are curled from time to time, but just barely.

t0risaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Please help! Lingering red fungus.

Can you post a picture? Ant your water parameters? Continual use of furan-2 will kill your cycle, that won't be helping.

Old 2nd December 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Please help! Lingering red fungus.-img_2589.jpg
Please help! Lingering red fungus.-img_2591.jpg
It's been about this much for a while now but it wont go away. I'm not putting in the furan 2 anymore.. the filter media is fresh, and i was going to do another 25% water change today to get the furan out. I have no way to test the water at the moment, but I'm sure the furan 2 has screwed it up. Advice?

Old 2nd December 2015   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Can you post the water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrites, NitrAtes, PH.

When did you add fresh filter media? That would remove a large colony of bacteria from your tank also aiding in crashing your cycle.

Your Axolotls toes look similar to those in this thread:
Red toes, veiny tail, and now white dots

What dechlorinator do you use?

Are you familiar with cycling?

Old 3rd December 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I cycled the tank before I got him, but the furan 2 instructions were to change the filter when i finished 4 doses. I just put a fresh one in a few nights ago but this had been going on so long that it's probably totally crashed by now. What should I do? I dont use de-chlorinator, but this weekend I can get some. What kind do you recommend?

Old 3rd December 2015   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

You will need a test kit to know if your tank is cycled or not, because you have to check for levels of Ammonia, Nitrites, and NitrAtes. A lot of users on this forum use and recommend this test kit including myself: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT

Dechlorinator is a must, it neutralizes chlorine, chloramine and metal toxins in the tap water, these are harmful to your Axolotl. I use: Water Conditioner | A8342 | Water Care | Fluval There is also another brand 'Tetra': AquaSafe Aquarium Dechlorinator Conditioner | Tetra Aquarium

You will need to focus on cycling your tank again to maker sure your Axolotl is not in pain and is healthy.

You can cycle with your Axolotl in the tank but that exposes him to Ammonia and Nitrite so frequent water changes will be needed to keep him safe. Or you can cycle without your Axolotl in the tank and just provide a source of Ammonia.

Read these links to understand the cycling process:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Good luck, you can always ask any questions if you have any doubts!

Old 3rd December 2015   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've been slowly changing out the water with furan 2, and he's already looking a lot better. I will get the supplies and get him fixed up then update. Thanks for your help!

Old 3rd December 2015   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

When you say 'changing the water out with furan 2' do you mean your still adding it ?

Tags
axolotl, help and advice needed, sick

LinkBack