The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Are this white spot normal?

This is a discussion on Are this white spot normal? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I want to know if this white spots in my axie are normal, and if is not what can i ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Pameqzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Are this white spot normal?

I want to know if this white spots in my axie are normal, and if is not what can i do to heal him? Please help me... Thanks you very much.
Greetings from Chile

Are this white spot normal?-img_8926.jpg

Are this white spot normal?-img_8932.jpg

Are this white spot normal?-img_8948.jpg

Pameqzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NaterPotater has started on the right path
Default Re: Are this white spot normal?

Did you just get him? Some of them look like normal coloration for a wild type axolotl (mine has a few light tan spots), but some of them, especially on and near the limbs, look a little bit suspicious.

NaterPotater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPotater View Post
Did you just get him? Some of them look like normal coloration for a wild type axolotl (mine has a few light tan spots), but some of them, especially on and near the limbs, look a little bit suspicious.
No, when i get him 5 month ago, he was smaller and did not have those white spot

Old 5th February 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

Hopefully, it isn't something "bad". Some axolotls lose pigment (vitiligo), and I don't believe that is harmful in itself.

Does the skin where the spots are look different (other than color) from the surrounding skin?

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSuzuki View Post
Hopefully, it isn't something "bad". Some axolotls lose pigment (vitiligo), and I don't believe that is harmful in itself.

Does the skin where the spots are look different (other than color) from the surrounding skin?
mmm i can not see it carefully, but at first sight its look only withe. Maybe in some spots it looks as if the spot was on top of the skin, i dont know if i explain myself?
So if it is vitiligo he will continue fading? and its not dangerous?
Thanks you very much

Old 6th February 2016   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

If it is vitiligo, it isn't dangerous. I don't know if it always progresses or if it might just stay the way it is.

If doesn't look like the pictures I've seen of vitiligo, but it doesn't look like the pictures I've seen of illnesses either.

Keep taking pictures every week and see how it changes. Maybe how it changes (or doesn't change) will give people a clue.

If he seems healthy otherwise, just continue to take good care of him and try not to worry. If he has any other symptoms, then post them too.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSuzuki View Post
If it is vitiligo, it isn't dangerous. I don't know if it always progresses or if it might just stay the way it is.

If doesn't look like the pictures I've seen of vitiligo, but it doesn't look like the pictures I've seen of illnesses either.

Keep taking pictures every week and see how it changes. Maybe how it changes (or doesn't change) will give people a clue.

If he seems healthy otherwise, just continue to take good care of him and try not to worry. If he has any other symptoms, then post them too.
Thanks you so much Laura, I will do it. For the moment he looks healthy, eat well and have a lot of energy. But i'll be watching.
Thanks you again :)

Old 11th February 2016   #8 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Elise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

He looks perfectly healthy and I would attribute your spots to normal iridophores.

Old 11th February 2016   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Red face Re: Are this white spot normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
He looks perfectly healthy and I would attribute your spots to normal iridophores.
thanks you :)

Old 17th February 2016   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information

If you're not sure, try shining a torch on the spots - try focusing on the spots as much as you can; axxies don't like bright lights. If they are shiny, flat and a gold colour, they're likely iridophores and are completely harmless and natural.

The white spots on the face are likely to be either a) discolouration due to contact with tank bacteria and harmless, b) natural colouring and harmless or c) bacterial, but I would think they are likely harmless. Keep an eye on them as suggested, but they seem normal to me.

Tags
axololt, sick, spot, white

LinkBack