The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Purple Gills?

This is a discussion on Purple Gills? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everyone, I have noticed twice now on my Lucistic axolotl Ash that his gill (the large par, not the ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nina Willis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Purple Gills?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed twice now on my Lucistic axolotl Ash that his gill (the large par, not the little frills) have turned purple. It almost looks like there is excessive blood flow?

The first time was right after I moved them to a smaller tank while my bedroom floor was being re-done, and he went back to normal in a few hours.

The second time I got up at 2 am to find that he had somehow cut himself and also had purple gills again. My filter is also on the fritz (got really loud) at the same time.

Is this a stress reaction or something else. Even though it went away fairly quickly, I am concerned by how dramatic the color change was.

Thanks,
Nina

Nina Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Purple Gills?

Some leucistic axolotls naturally have purple colouring of their gill stalks. If you are noticing the colour is more vibrant when your axolotl is more active it is because there is more blood flow which is normal and nothing to worry about. You can always post some photos. Is your tank cycled? Have you tested the parameters?

LinkBack