The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Leg Injury Help

This is a discussion on Leg Injury Help within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My Axolotl is doing well but doesn't seem to be eating I'm trying him with the worms and bloodworms but ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2016   #21 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Loz has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Leg Injury Help

My Axolotl is doing well but doesn't seem to be eating I'm trying him with the worms and bloodworms but he doesn't seem interested. I'd hate to be curing him only for him to die through starvation. How can I help his appitite?

Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016   #22 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

Great to hear that he is doing well. It might just be a matter of time with the food. Has he lost weight? Does he look skinny? If not then I'm sure it will be fine and he'll eat when he is hungry. As well as worms and blood worms you could also try offering small pieces of prawn, my lot love some prawn occasionally. They also eat mussel. A little bit of variety is a good thing.
When was the last time he ate?

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016   #23 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:

I think it's about 3 days Donna. It looks like the fungus may have gone but they're is still no skin growing around the bone. He really seems to be brighter but has not lost weight yet

Old 18th April 2016   #24 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Keeping your Axolotl in a separate container is the best method for now. The damaged leg will eventually breakdown and pretty much drop off where the tissue dies. The key is to keep your Axolotl in cool clean fresh dechlorinated water. This will give your Axolotl the best chance of healing.

Make sure you change the water in his new container everyday with dechlorinated (treated) water. If there is still fungus present, Julia's suggestion of using untreated tap water to fight against the fungus instead of salt baths is a good idea since the chlorine will help prevent the fungus, so put your axolotl in untreated water for the same time lengths as you were with salt baths. Also almond leaf baths are beneficial. Read this thread on fungus: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...18-fungus.html

Can you take some clear pictures from various angles of the leg and your Axolotl?

I would try feeding earthworms again, I use a type called 'dendrobaena' I order from Buy Live Fishing Bait from Bucket of Worms. Skudo's suggestion on blanching the worms is a good idea, I use it my self.

Old 18th April 2016   #25 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

Three days isn't too long for your axolotl not to have eaten. I also blanche the worms I get from the reptile centre before offering them to the axolotls. It makes things a bit easier, especially if you have to cut the worms into smaller pieces.
As Chris said, the key is keeping your axolotl in the best water conditions until things are better.

Old 18th April 2016   #26 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:

Thanks Chris & Donna I already blanch the earthworms and the others eat them really well. I will stop the salt baths and use untreated water. I hope the leg does drop off as I feel he'd struggle with this one. I don't use a net when giving him salt baths as he doesn't panic if I put my hand in the water allowing him to settle on it for transportation so I've took them when doing that.
Attached Thumbnails
Leg Injury Help-image.jpg  

Old 18th April 2016   #27 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:

Here's another one
Attached Thumbnails

Old 18th April 2016   #28 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Wow, those are amazing pictures.
I've not dealt with this before, so I'll leave it to the more experienced keepers like Chris to give further advice.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery.

Old 19th April 2016   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sweetie has shown reliable knowledge

You say your nitrates level is zero but it should be about 20 (no more than 40). It's the ammonia and nitrites you want to be at zero. If your nitrates are zero then your tank may not be properly cycled. Also, I second the advice on using untreated water rather than salt baths. It is effective against fungus and less damaging to the axie's skin. The almond leaves can be added to the tank not just used for baths, and they are soothing for the axie's skin. Good luck.

Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016   #30 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Take images with the Axolotl in the water. It's actually harder to distinguish detail when they are out of water

Old 19th April 2016   #31 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:

Sorry it is my Nitrite that is zero and here are the photos. The fungus seems to have gone but I'm continuing with untreated water
Attached Thumbnails

Old 19th April 2016   #32 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:

I cannot seem to load the three at a time even though it lets me here's another
Attached Thumbnails

Old 19th April 2016   #33 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

As long as you keep the water quality and temperature perfect the arm will regenerate. Since the fungus is gone I don't think the baths in untreated water are particularly needed, perhaps just once a week

Old 19th April 2016   #34 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:

Thanks Chris, today the skin around the foot is coming off I can see it quick clearly in the tank. I will stop the treatment now and just keep him in treated water daily changed

Old 19th April 2016   #35 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

That should be fine, the tissue will continue to die off and then eventually the leg will regenerate. If you notice any signs of fungus start the untreated water baths again.

Old 19th April 2016   #36 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:

Yes I will do thank you all very much for the great advice you've given me, I just wish we could still donate as this website is amazing for anybody who wish to give these little guys a home. I will put on updates to how he's doing

Old 20th April 2016   #37 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Wishing your little one all the best for a full recovery.

Old 24th April 2016   #38 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:

Just an update about my little guy. His leg has finally come off from the very top, he has a tiny bit of bone left and hopefully it will now regrow. He is still on his own having daily water changes and now only having Indian almond leaves and there has never been any sign of fungus or infection.

Old 11th May 2016   #39 (permalink)
Loz

Nationality:

One finally update.... My little one died tonight even though he had got over losing the leg and had no fungus. I just could not get him to eat, I tried bloodworm when he would not eat the worms but could not tempt him. I believe he starved to death. Everyday I put small bits of earthworm right next to him. I even bought him his own tank to live in so he did not get picked on by the others. Very sad and I hope I did my best for him. Thanks for all the advice

Old 12th May 2016   #40 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Oh Loz, I'm so sorry to hear that your little one passed away.
You did your best for him, keeping him in excellent conditions and following the advice of the experienced keepers on this forum, keeping him fungus free and giving him every opportunity to recover.

Tags
bone, fungus, leg injury, sick axolotl

LinkBack