The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Filter Question

This is a discussion on Filter Question within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have an axolotl who is maybe around 2-3 months old and he is around 3-4" long, and I was ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DarkWolf649 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Filter Question

I have an axolotl who is maybe around 2-3 months old and he is around 3-4" long, and I was wondering when it would be okay to put a filter in his tank. I have the water relatively low right now because I wasnt sure if he could reach the surface to get air. I have a 10 gallon tank and the filter I have is a powerfilter for 10 gallon tanks. Please respond.

DarkWolf649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Filter Question

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
If I were you I'd fill the tank up right to the top to get the maximum water volume possible, your axolotl will be fine, mine used to live in a tank that was nearly two feet deep and I had no problems, even with babies.
You really need a filter of some sort to cope with the waste produced, especially in a relatively small tank. You can use the power filter, but you need to make sure the outlet current is completely diffused because axolotls become stressed in moving water. I use a spray bar pushed into a long piece of filter foam, it completely stops any water turbulence, even right next to it. I normally grow Java moss on the foam, once it gets hold it completely it hides the whole thing.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: DarkWolf649 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filter Question

Thank you so much for the help :) I will try to do everything I can to make my axolotl as comfortable as possible.

DarkWolf649 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl advice, filter

LinkBack