The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl losing colour?

This is a discussion on Axolotl losing colour? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I own 2 adult wild type axolotls. I'm a first time owner, they were originally in a zoo but were ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AristotleVbman is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Axolotl losing colour?

I own 2 adult wild type axolotls. I'm a first time owner, they were originally in a zoo but were going to be put down (there were originally 3, one of them died of stress from people tapping on the glass, and they couldn't keep them if they weren't on display) So I begged my mum to let me adopt them, but I've had Batman and Aristotle for about 5 months now. There's been a few minor hiccups, some scraps and a leg amputation on batman, other than this they seem to be doing fine. But I've noticed that Aristotle seems to be losing his colour, he was paler around his belly and tail than Batman when I first got them but now his belly is almost white. His legs, back, tail and face havn't changed much, he's gained some more yellow "freckles" but that's it. His behaviour hasn't changed, he's eating and normally and swims about the tank happily. I've tried to research the topic but I can't find anything similar, I'm not sure whether its because they are quite old, they were roughly 12 when I got them. Batman isnt affected and Aristotle seems to be ok otherwise, I just wanted to know if anybody knew anything about this

AristotleVbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AristotleVbman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl losing colour?

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.photos of Aristotle before and after

AristotleVbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl losing colour?

I can't open your pictures, but it sounds very much like vitiligo - a condition where they lose their pigment. Harmless, but if you've not seen it before I can understand your concern.
I have one of these too - started out as a lovely wildtype, now looks like a leucisitc.
Think of it as the axolotl equivalent of going grey.

Tags
axolotl, help and advice needed, sick

LinkBack