The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New Axolotl Owner- Worried about health

This is a discussion on New Axolotl Owner- Worried about health within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi, in June I got a 3" axolotl. He's been in a 10 gallon tank(I have a 20gal in the ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blackkitteycat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: blackkitteycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy New Axolotl Owner- Worried about health

Hi, in June I got a 3" axolotl. He's been in a 10 gallon tank(I have a 20gal in the garage for when he needs it) The water temperature is 65-67 degrees, ammonia is at 0, the tank has been cycled for 2-3 months now and was cycled before I got him. He's on a sand substrate and has live plants and a hideout(as well as some other decor- driftwood/rocks).
I'm a bit worried about him. He spends a lot of the day floating at the surface. He also doesn't seem to want to eat. I've offered pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and live bloodworms. I haven't tried earthworms yet because he's still pretty small, but if you think I should try it I will. I've tried feeding him in a separate container and his tank, but most of the time he just ignores the food. I'm not new to fishkeeping(had saltwater/fresh for 6-7 years), i'm just new to axolotls. I'm really worried about him! Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance :)

blackkitteycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Caesar is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: New Axolotl Owner- Worried about health

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkitteycat View Post
Hi, in June I got a 3" axolotl. He's been in a 10 gallon tank(I have a 20gal in the garage for when he needs it) The water temperature is 65-67 degrees, ammonia is at 0, the tank has been cycled for 2-3 months now and was cycled before I got him. He's on a sand substrate and has live plants and a hideout(as well as some other decor- driftwood/rocks).
I'm a bit worried about him. He spends a lot of the day floating at the surface. He also doesn't seem to want to eat. I've offered pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and live bloodworms. I haven't tried earthworms yet because he's still pretty small, but if you think I should try it I will. I've tried feeding him in a separate container and his tank, but most of the time he just ignores the food. I'm not new to fishkeeping(had saltwater/fresh for 6-7 years), i'm just new to axolotls. I'm really worried about him! Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance :)
When my axolotl was little, he spent a lot of time at the top of the tank too. Half the time I thought he was dead because he just floats there. Axolotls have unpredictable behavior though, unless he shows real signs of sickness such as a bloat, slime on exterior, etc. I think he is fine!
You can try earthworms cut into pieces no bigger than the length of his head if you would like. How long has it been since he hasn't eaten?

Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: blackkitteycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Axolotl Owner- Worried about health

Probably about 2 weeks. I'll try the earthworms and see how that goes!

blackkitteycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Caesar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Axolotl Owner- Worried about health

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkitteycat View Post
Probably about 2 weeks. I'll try the earthworms and see how that goes!
Okay hopefully he eats. I found this on Axolotls - Frequently Asked Questions :
"Well fed axolotls can usually go without eating for up to 3 weeks and suffer no long term effects, provided the water temperature isn't over 60F."
If he doesn't start eating soon try force feeding or seek medical care. or maybe someone else on this site can help you, posting pictures would help us.

(only for adult axolotls=)
How to: Force feed an adult axolotl

Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, floating axolotl, new owner, not eating, sick

LinkBack