The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is my axolotl bloated?

This is a discussion on Is my axolotl bloated? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have a wild type, female axolotl, who has always been bigger than my other babies. I used to just ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lashy337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my axolotl bloated?

I have a wild type, female axolotl, who has always been bigger than my other babies. I used to just drop the food in there and let them go at it, but this axolotl would eat all of the food herself, and as such got very fat. I have since started hand feeding them so they all get the same amount of food, but she's still much bigger than my other axolotls. I don't know if this is still her being fat from that early overfeeding, if it's just because she's female and my others are male, or if this is bloat. She isn't acting sick in any way, she has always been my healthiest and easiest to care for, which is why I'm asking in the first place. How do I tell if my lotl is just fat, or if she's got a bloat?

I don't have any good pictures that display the fat belly, so I'll try and get some tomorrow.

Lashy337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Is my axolotl bloated?

Is she floating?
You say that she isn't acting sick, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was just a big girl, but I'm relatively new to this, and I've only had my gang for 6 months, so it would be better to get the advice of the more experienced keepers.
Photos will be very useful.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LoriML has started on the right path

How old are they? Still growing length wise? Without seeing pics, I would say she's probably just bigger genetically or perhaps maturing and developing eggs? Has she ever laid eggs before?

Pics please :)

LoriML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: GalLuvsAxolotls has given good advice and informationGalLuvsAxolotls has given good advice and information

Pictures would really help!

IME, some axolotls are just bigger than others. However with young ones, some are better at getting food than others and grow faster as a result. It depends on if yours are adults or still juveniles.

With some of the very small ones I have raised, I swear the only way some of them would eat was when baby brine shrimp accidentally swam in their mouth...

GalLuvsAxolotls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, bloat

LinkBack