The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl Hind Limb Caught in Filter

This is a discussion on Axolotl Hind Limb Caught in Filter within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, I have an albino axolotl whose hind limb got caught in the filter last night. I removed him from ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: sarahdeloach is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Axolotl Hind Limb Caught in Filter

Hello,
I have an albino axolotl whose hind limb got caught in the filter last night. I removed him from the filter and placed him in a separate container to fridge. When I first removed him, his mouth was gaping and he was swimming in a swaying manner and flipping on his back while swimming. After about 13 hours of being fridged at 44F his mouth is closed, although he still isn't swimming properly. He has red spots on his side near where his leg is (which I assume is from the struggle of freeing himself) and his cloaca is red (although I don't see any prolapse, I believe it's from the struggle of the filter). I have images in a public album on my account as well as attached to the thread. I would like advice on how to care for his injury.
Attached Thumbnails
Axolotl Hind Limb Caught in Filter-img_0330.jpg   Axolotl Hind Limb Caught in Filter-img_0334.jpg   Axolotl Hind Limb Caught in Filter-img_0335.jpg  

sarahdeloach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: sarahdeloach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Hind Limb Caught in Filter

Would also like to add that the first image is right when he was removed from the filter, the second is after 13 hours of fridging, and the last is of his cloaca (sorry for the blurriness)

sarahdeloach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, axolotl injury, injury

LinkBack