The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl not eating and gills turning grey?

This is a discussion on Axolotl not eating and gills turning grey? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi all! First time posting on the forum hoping to get some advice about my little girl! I've had my ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: naterpie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl not eating and gills turning grey?

Hi all! First time posting on the forum hoping to get some advice about my little girl!

I've had my axolotl for over 1 year (adopted by me at 2 years old; she is now 3) and in the past 1-2 weeks I've had trouble feeding her. The most she's eaten in the past week has been 2 pellets at the most and is just generally disinterested in food, even when I dangle it with forceps in front of her face. I even tried cutting up some raw salmon tonight to try and tempt her and she just ignored it!

On top of that, (I'm not sure how much gill colour matters) I noticed today the rami part of her gills (not the fimbriae) have gone from their normal albino golden colour to a greyish colour.

Water parameters seem fine and I haven't had any changes to the filtering system so the water flow shouldn't be the problem.

However, it has just turned into Spring here in Australia and I suspect the warmer temperature might be playing a role -- BUT I just feel a little unsure since last spring/summer she was completely fine in her eating patterns/general health.

Any advice on what might be the issue? Any tips on getting her to eat? TIA!

naterpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, change, colour, eating, feeding, gills, not eating, sick

LinkBack